Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
On Saturday, Flyers owner Ed Snider called a report in the Philadelphia Daily News “erroneous.”
On Sunday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman called it a “fabrication.”
According to the report, which relied on anonymous sources, Snider had “soured” on the NHL’s lockout strategy and was pushing behind the scenes to resolve it.
“It was a fabrication,” said Bettman in an exclusive interview with the Winnipeg Free Press. “Ed Snider is the one who told me about the article when he found out about it and he was terribly upset. He’s in Europe and it was his idea to put out a statement. Anyone who doubts the resolve of ownership is either uninformed or (being) intentionally misleading.”
The reporter, Frank Seravalli, stands by his story.
Regardless of the report’s accuracy or inaccuracy, calling it a “fabrication” won’t garner Bettman much support in the media, which is traditionally protective of its brethren and has been quick to defend Seravalli.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)