Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
On Saturday, Flyers owner Ed Snider called a report in the Philadelphia Daily News “erroneous.”
On Sunday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman called it a “fabrication.”
According to the report, which relied on anonymous sources, Snider had “soured” on the NHL’s lockout strategy and was pushing behind the scenes to resolve it.
“It was a fabrication,” said Bettman in an exclusive interview with the Winnipeg Free Press. “Ed Snider is the one who told me about the article when he found out about it and he was terribly upset. He’s in Europe and it was his idea to put out a statement. Anyone who doubts the resolve of ownership is either uninformed or (being) intentionally misleading.”
The reporter, Frank Seravalli, stands by his story.
Regardless of the report’s accuracy or inaccuracy, calling it a “fabrication” won’t garner Bettman much support in the media, which is traditionally protective of its brethren and has been quick to defend Seravalli.
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)