Nov 19, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
If John Torchetti is right, Charlie Coyle will play a big role in Minnesota this season.
“He’s going to make an impact on the Wild for two reasons,” said Torchetti, who’s currently coaching Coyle in AHL Houston. “He’s no-maintenance, high-character and he is so good, so willing defensively.”
Torchetti knows what it takes to be successful in the pros. He’s been a head coach in both Florida and Los Angeles and an assistant in Tampa Bay, Atlanta and Chicago, winning the Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in 2010.
In Coyle, Torchetti sees a player primed to make an impact in the NHL this season (whenever it begins.)
The 20-year-old center is lighting it up for the Aeros, leading the team in scoring while being dubbed the “most consistent, complete forward night in and night out since the start of the year.”
The Wild acquired Coyle from San Jose in last June’s Brent Burns-Devin Setoguchi trade. A year earlier, San Jose made Coyle the 28th overall selection of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, then watched him score 26 points in 37 games as a freshman at Boston University.
Sharks GM Doug Wilson was loathe to move such a highly-skilled talent, but knew he had to give to get Burns.
Here’s more, from the Sporting News:
When Wilson alerted Coyle that he’d been dealt, he handed the phone over to Sharks director of scouting Tim Burke, one of the NHL’s best talent evaluators. He’s probably the guy in the organization who knows Coyle best, and there was real emotion on the other line as Burke relayed the reasoning behind the deal.
“They were saying, ‘This is pretty emotional. We don’t want to do this,’ ” Coyle told Sporting News.
The Wild are glad they did.
Head coach Mike Yeo and Aeros GM Jim Mill told the Minnesota Star-Tribune that Coyle has a major chance of making the Wild if/when the lockout ends.
“He’s adapted to the pro game so quickly,” Mill said.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)