Nov 18, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
The two players said they’re not feeling positive about how talks are progressing and worry there won’t be a season to be played this year. Jokinen was blunt in his take (courtesy of Matias Strozyk of EliteProspects.com) to Finnish site Jatkoaika.
“I have a feeling that the season won’t be played. But from the bottom of my heart I hope I’m wrong.”
Selanne, whose career might end because of the lockout, was equally pessimistic when speaking with MTV3 in Finland.
“It doesn’t look good – especially with the idea of no more talks for two weeks,” Selanne said. “I thought this would be a couple of months but now the owners have been very strict. It’s almost a take it or leave it kind of deal.”
“I trained hard and everything’s set, disappointing if no season. Will then have to re-evaluate whether I want to play somewhere else or am done.”
Well that’s depressing talk from a pair of the game’s best Finnish players. Here’s to hoping Monday’s talks yield optimism that we’ll see hockey played this season.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)