Nov 18, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
The two players said they’re not feeling positive about how talks are progressing and worry there won’t be a season to be played this year. Jokinen was blunt in his take (courtesy of Matias Strozyk of EliteProspects.com) to Finnish site Jatkoaika.
“I have a feeling that the season won’t be played. But from the bottom of my heart I hope I’m wrong.”
Selanne, whose career might end because of the lockout, was equally pessimistic when speaking with MTV3 in Finland.
“It doesn’t look good – especially with the idea of no more talks for two weeks,” Selanne said. “I thought this would be a couple of months but now the owners have been very strict. It’s almost a take it or leave it kind of deal.”
“I trained hard and everything’s set, disappointing if no season. Will then have to re-evaluate whether I want to play somewhere else or am done.”
Well that’s depressing talk from a pair of the game’s best Finnish players. Here’s to hoping Monday’s talks yield optimism that we’ll see hockey played this season.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 2
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)