Nov 18, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
After the 2012 Hall of Fame class induction wrapped up on Monday, the natural question pivoted to: who’s next?
Former New Jersey Devils and Anaheim Ducks defenseman Scott Niedermayer will be eligible for a possible first-ballot nod in 2013, and while many an induction is just a matter of time, he was very humble about the idea when asked by NHL.com.
“People bring it up to me. I try not to think about it. If it happens, it happens. I’ll deal with it then,” Niedermayer said. “It would be a heck of an honor. That type of thing is obviously out of my control. We’ll wait and see.”
His NHL resume alone is staggering: five All-Star nods, a Conn Smythe, one Norris Trophy and four Stanley Cup victories in 18 sterling seasons.
Sounds like a shoo-in, although he’s currently getting the third amount of votes from PHT readers – behind Chris Chelios and Brendan Shanahan – in an ongoing poll for potential 2013 inductees. (You can still vote here.)
With all that in mind, the modesty almost seems by-the-book, but Niedermayer indicates that’s just the way he works.
“That’s just my personality. I’m a guy who likes to go about my business and let things fall where they may,” Niedermayer said. “I think that’s how I played the game. Probably not going to change my stripes now that I’m not playing.”
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)