Nov 18, 2012, 10:44 PM EST
After the 2012 Hall of Fame class induction wrapped up on Monday, the natural question pivoted to: who’s next?
Former New Jersey Devils and Anaheim Ducks defenseman Scott Niedermayer will be eligible for a possible first-ballot nod in 2013, and while many an induction is just a matter of time, he was very humble about the idea when asked by NHL.com.
“People bring it up to me. I try not to think about it. If it happens, it happens. I’ll deal with it then,” Niedermayer said. “It would be a heck of an honor. That type of thing is obviously out of my control. We’ll wait and see.”
His NHL resume alone is staggering: five All-Star nods, a Conn Smythe, one Norris Trophy and four Stanley Cup victories in 18 sterling seasons.
Sounds like a shoo-in, although he’s currently getting the third amount of votes from PHT readers – behind Chris Chelios and Brendan Shanahan – in an ongoing poll for potential 2013 inductees. (You can still vote here.)
With all that in mind, the modesty almost seems by-the-book, but Niedermayer indicates that’s just the way he works.
“That’s just my personality. I’m a guy who likes to go about my business and let things fall where they may,” Niedermayer said. “I think that’s how I played the game. Probably not going to change my stripes now that I’m not playing.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)