Nov 18, 2012, 10:44 PM EST
After the 2012 Hall of Fame class induction wrapped up on Monday, the natural question pivoted to: who’s next?
Former New Jersey Devils and Anaheim Ducks defenseman Scott Niedermayer will be eligible for a possible first-ballot nod in 2013, and while many an induction is just a matter of time, he was very humble about the idea when asked by NHL.com.
“People bring it up to me. I try not to think about it. If it happens, it happens. I’ll deal with it then,” Niedermayer said. “It would be a heck of an honor. That type of thing is obviously out of my control. We’ll wait and see.”
His NHL resume alone is staggering: five All-Star nods, a Conn Smythe, one Norris Trophy and four Stanley Cup victories in 18 sterling seasons.
Sounds like a shoo-in, although he’s currently getting the third amount of votes from PHT readers – behind Chris Chelios and Brendan Shanahan – in an ongoing poll for potential 2013 inductees. (You can still vote here.)
With all that in mind, the modesty almost seems by-the-book, but Niedermayer indicates that’s just the way he works.
“That’s just my personality. I’m a guy who likes to go about my business and let things fall where they may,” Niedermayer said. “I think that’s how I played the game. Probably not going to change my stripes now that I’m not playing.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)