Nov 18, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
After the 2012 Hall of Fame class induction wrapped up on Monday, the natural question pivoted to: who’s next?
Former New Jersey Devils and Anaheim Ducks defenseman Scott Niedermayer will be eligible for a possible first-ballot nod in 2013, and while many an induction is just a matter of time, he was very humble about the idea when asked by NHL.com.
“People bring it up to me. I try not to think about it. If it happens, it happens. I’ll deal with it then,” Niedermayer said. “It would be a heck of an honor. That type of thing is obviously out of my control. We’ll wait and see.”
His NHL resume alone is staggering: five All-Star nods, a Conn Smythe, one Norris Trophy and four Stanley Cup victories in 18 sterling seasons.
Sounds like a shoo-in, although he’s currently getting the third amount of votes from PHT readers – behind Chris Chelios and Brendan Shanahan – in an ongoing poll for potential 2013 inductees. (You can still vote here.)
With all that in mind, the modesty almost seems by-the-book, but Niedermayer indicates that’s just the way he works.
“That’s just my personality. I’m a guy who likes to go about my business and let things fall where they may,” Niedermayer said. “I think that’s how I played the game. Probably not going to change my stripes now that I’m not playing.”
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)