Nov 18, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
One of the rare benefits of the lockout is to open up more elaborate charitable opportunities for players, but few can match what several Ottawa Senators will experience in northern Canada.
The Ottawa Citizen reports that Craig Anderson, Chris Phillips, Chris Neil, Zack Smith, Marc Methot, Guillaume Latendresse and Peter Regin are among the 10 NHL players touring some hard-to-reach outposts to help others.
Anderson notes to Senators Extra that the minus-13 degree weather in Yellowknife was just a bit different from what he’s become used to in Florida.
“It was 80 degrees (Fahrenheit) in Florida yesterday,” Anderson said. “No difference, really … just about 100 degrees.”
Then again, he’s probably not going to get the chance to dogsled in the Sunshine State, either.
“I’m excited to learn and see what the culture is all about and I would really like to do some dog-sledding, if I can,” Anderson said. “When we were in Denver (playing for the Colorado Avalanche), we were going to go on dog tour, but my wife was pregnant and we missed out on the opportunity.”
The three-game charity tour will reach Yellowknife, Inuvik and Whitehorse by the time all of the hockey playing and dog-sledding is finished.
Senators Extra has a photo gallery here.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)