Nov 17, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
Throughout the lockout, we’ve heard players speak openly about labor strife, but we almost never hear from the owners.
The reason for that is obvious — the owners risk a fine for talking while the players don’t.
But do the players risk being scrutinized by their peers if they stand up and speak out against the union?
“In the last conference call, a player asked Don why he was learning details of the NHL’s last proposal through the media and not via Don or the players in attendance,” an NHL player told ESPNBoston.com. “Don and some other players called that player out and basically embarrassed him for asking that.”
To be fair, we might be missing information that would add further context to the situation that the player is describing.
It’s also worth noting that a couple of players have suggested that the union should, at least partially, share in the blame for the ongoing lockout.
We’ve also seen an alcohol-inspired Twitter rant from Krys Barch and, whether you agree with what he said or not, it’s not something you would have likely seen if he didn’t feel free to express his views.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 60
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (79)