Nov 17, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Throughout the lockout, we’ve heard players speak openly about labor strife, but we almost never hear from the owners.
The reason for that is obvious — the owners risk a fine for talking while the players don’t.
But do the players risk being scrutinized by their peers if they stand up and speak out against the union?
“In the last conference call, a player asked Don why he was learning details of the NHL’s last proposal through the media and not via Don or the players in attendance,” an NHL player told ESPNBoston.com. “Don and some other players called that player out and basically embarrassed him for asking that.”
To be fair, we might be missing information that would add further context to the situation that the player is describing.
It’s also worth noting that a couple of players have suggested that the union should, at least partially, share in the blame for the ongoing lockout.
We’ve also seen an alcohol-inspired Twitter rant from Krys Barch and, whether you agree with what he said or not, it’s not something you would have likely seen if he didn’t feel free to express his views.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)