Nov 17, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
We’re already in the third month of this lockout, but it could go much longer.
In an endurance battle, it’s easy to assume that the owners have the edge. Many of them made their wealth outside of hockey and can survive without the NHL. In addition, they are in a better position to think long-term while the players that can only survive in the NHL as long as their bodies will let them.
All the same, the players haven’t changed their tune even as the lockout costs them paycheck after paycheck.
“I think I feel more upset that we’re missing out on what we could be doing,” Nashville Predators defenseman Hal Gill said, according to the Tennessean. “Obviously you want to make a paycheck, but for the most part we want to be playing hockey. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be. That’s a frustrating thing. Not much we can do about it right now. We have to stand up for what we believe in and we have to stick it out and hopefully it doesn’t last too much longer.”
Gill is technically in the first season of his two-year, $4 million contract. He’ll turn 38 in April, so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that this contract is his last.
His teammate Matt Halischuk is facing a very different situation. He was scheduled to make $825,000 this season, but at the age of 24 he’ll have to deal with the repercussions of the next CBA more than most.
“No one likes to miss paychecks,” Halischuk said, “but at the end of the day we’re looking to get a fair deal.”
Of course, it’s easy to voice a belief, but it’s harder to stick too it. We’ll see if the increasing threat of losing the season eventually causes the players — or the owners for that matter — to move from their current positions.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Avoiding arbitration in the process.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Yeah, this one’s going to arbitration.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
“We are looking forward to having Vladimir in a Blues uniform when he returns to the NHL,” said GM Doug Armstrong.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Things apparently went sour with Patrick Roy.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s assortment of links.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Will he manage to make the team right away?
Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
They know their outdoor games.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)