Flyers owner Snider reportedly hopes mediator will join CBA talks

Nov 17, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT

Ed Snider poses with his plaque during a media availability before the 2011 US Hockey Hall of Fame Induction at the Renaissance Chicago Hotel on December 12, 2011 in Chicago, Illinois.
(December 11, 2011 - Source: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

There’s been talk of bringing in a mediator to help speed up the CBA negotiating process before, but the possibility looks more likely than ever now.

With the talks stagnant, Flyers owner Ed Snider has proposed the use of a high-profile mediator, based on a recent Philadelphia Daily News report.

Former President Bill Clinton has apparently been mentioned as a potential candidate, but he’s hardly the only one.

If the NHL and union ask him, Arthur Boylan is willing to help end this lockout for free. They might want to take him up on that offer considering Boylan had a hand in resolving the NFL lockout last year.

NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr is open to bringing in a mediator and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly recently said that the NHL would be willing to consider it.

If Snider and other NHL owners are now pushing for a mediator, it might not be long before one joins the talks.

Related:

Report: Flyers owner Snider pushing to solve labor strife

1. oldcat157 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

The problem with hockey is the over abundance of foreign players. Need more homegrown talent or make NHL a Canadian league.

There are just not enough fans compared with the MLB, NBA, of NFL. No fans > no money > no big contracts. Plain and simple. You all need to accept what you can get.

Just being real. Do the numbers, brah.

• daburghdabest - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Go away mouth breather, brah.

• mrchainbluelightning - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Checked the numbers
      More foreign players means more interest world wide, means more money.

Lemme double check those #’s

Yup, NFL, MLB, NBA agree

You just posted some ignorant clap-trap nowhere based in reality
      Just being real, Did the numbers, boy

• mississippimudslinger - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Who the &^*K cares about World Wide interest… Euros are soft they have watered down this Sport , and turned some of you fans into pussies like the dipshi*t in the post above me

• mrchainbluelightning - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I stopped reading after who cares about world wide interest, to reply.

People with money, who know how to make more of it.
        ie: The NFL stretching into Europe, the NBA and MLB into Asia.

And then I didn’t bother reading anymore because at this point I know that you’re a silly lil boy or a complete clueless buffoon the the subject and couldn’t care less what you had to say after.

• mrchainbluelightning - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Oh right I forgot to say
        Forsberg > ANY AMERICAN FORWARD EVER
        Lidstrom > ANY AMERICAN DMAN EVER

Fedorov, Forsberg, Malkin
        Lidstrom and Konstaninov

Vs

Any 3 American forwards and any 2 American D

Would be a epic beat down over n over

• blomfeld - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Mudslinger – I have to tip my hat to you, as you seriously do “know the deal” man ! … you’re contributions are always warm, thoughtful and very informative … keep up the great work friend ! :)

• mrchainbluelightning - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Oh don’t be giving thumbs down for telling the truth. America still destroys Europe in MLB and NFL, and is still tops for NBA players.

Bure Larionov Stastny
        Fetisov and Salming

—–

Jagr Kharlamov Firsov
        Chara and Vasiliev

Come on now
        Feel free to attempt to match 9 American forwards and 6 D to match

• blomfelb - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Hey just cause the cat’s old doesn’t mean his claws don’t still get the job done! I echo the trails of victory that our great trust has laid out before us & the powerless nitwits in the NHLPA. Can you smell them? I speak of the delicious strawberries that grow inside Gary Bettman’s rectum, we’ll all get a taste sooner than later friends. Will you be there dining with sportsfan69, id4joey & I? Hey more for the rest of us. Not to digress, this is playing out just as I have predicted even when it turns to the opposite by claiming to have been leaning that way as well I & my friends will never be wrong. Follow me to the strawberries & a season that will be starting soon…or not at all if I need to flip flop.

• blomfeld - Nov 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM

ATTENTION FRIENDS !!!

Please note that someone has now begun posting here under the erroneous names of “Blomfelb” and “Ib4joey” ! Of course these names are fake and they should in no way be confused with either “yours truly” or comrade Id4joey. I already have a good handle on who’s behind this little caper. But for good measure, I’ve also asked my old friend “Stransky” to take a look into this (ie: Stransky is a physicist and an expert in forensic causation analysis) and he’s assured me that he’ll have the name of this imposter within 48 hours, with a margin for error of “plus or minus” 2.5 hours. Once this imposter has been identified, then suffice it to say that he/she will be “dealt with” quickly and ruthlessly. As for Daly’s silly remarks above ? Look for a deal to be reached this week … :)

2. atwatercrushesokoye - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It sounds like Snider is taking on the the Bob Kraft role in this as the moderate voice of reason in this process, which much like the NFL talks is probably what’s needed. I’m not a Flyers fan, but I’m a hockey fan so I fully salute Ed Snider for taking that approach!

• mmcneels81 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The center: where things get done.

• mrchainbluelightning - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

It’s just somewhat funny considering a week ago Ed said there wasn’t a single thing he could do in helping end the lockout.

• alexb64 - Nov 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

It would seem that last week he may have been under the impression that come hell or high water the goal was still to be ready to go December 1st, maybe anticipating this past week & next week to be extensive negotiations. Then I think he & a many others heard Bettman & Daly with the two week moratorium talk and they all had the same “You’ve got to be f’ing kidding me?” reaction.

3. oldcat157 - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Hey, whoa. I’m just trying to keep real. We need American interest because that’s who buys the tickets. Fans in Russia or Canada doesn’t help.

Need to make the stadiums bigger and charge more than 10 bucks for good seats, and eliminate ties.

• alexb64 - Nov 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

“and eliminate ties.”

Are you trying to comment on an NFL article? NFL games end in ties, NHL games can’t.

4. sportsfan69 - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Wow Mr. Ed,

Are you turning new leaf? Your thinking about the whole organization (NHL + Players). I commend you. Set it up for Monday morning with former President Clinton and the NFL mediator. All parties don’t leave the room until a deal done. Make it 10 years, like the NFL CBA.

5. thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

6. nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Bringing Bill Clinton in would make this the perfect trifecta! A basketball guy in charge of the league, a baseball guy in charge of the union, and a mediator whose favorite sport is football, all deciding the fate of the world’s top hockey league. Pretty funny, in a weird, not very funny way. The plot sickens, er, thickens.

7. blomfeld - Nov 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

BRINGING IN CLINTON IS A GREAT IDEA !

Then again, bringing in George Bush would be a great idea too. The bottom line is that bringing in outside parties will have “zero” effect on what now transpires. This entire business is nothing but a “contrived” stage production being driven by Bettman and several key power owners, for the explicit purpose of achieving their own self-serving agenda. People like Fehr, Daly, Crosby and company are nothing more than actors who will do “as per” instructed and on queue. My only hope now is that Bettman’s little charade here will end soon, so that we can get in at least 60 games or so ? The idea of a 48 game season just doesn’t sit right with me, especially since we LA Kings are the defending Stanley Cup champions ! :)

8. mississippimudslinger - Nov 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Ya’ll just keep drinking the Kool Aid that’s now become the NHL LOL … Blomfeld must have skipped over the post I put about him on another thread when he got torn to shreds lol

• valoisvipers - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Back off punk and take your gibberish elsewhere.

• blomfeld - Nov 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Valoisvipers – Friend, just ignore this scum. He’s been around now for several weeks spewing his ugliness and I’m actually surprised that PHT hasn’t moved to eliminate his account ? Anyway, hope all goes well for you there in Ville-Marie. As you know, Montreal was my personal birthplace and Quebec was the birthplace of both Canada and the game of ice hockey ! So GO HABS GO eh ? :)

9. pmac64 - Nov 18, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I hope you are not reffering to the European fans aswell Mr Slinger.
    I live in England and have to pay to watch NHL on tv at stupid o’clock at night.
    Where do you think mine and many others money goes, oh yes thats right to the NHL coffers.
    However small a portion do not bite the hand that helps to feed you.

10. id4joey - Nov 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

ATTENTION FRIENDS !!!

Please note that someone has now begun posting here under the erroneous names of “blomfelb” and “Ib4joey” ! Of course these names are fake and they should in no way be confused with either “yours truly” or blomfeld. blomfeld already has a good handle on who’s behind this little caper. But for good measure, he has also asked his old friend “Stransky” to take a look into this (ie: Stransky is a physicist and an expert in forensic causation analysis) and he’s assured blomfeld that he’ll have the name of this imposter within 48 hours, with a margin for error of “plus or minus” 2.5 hours. Once this imposter has been identified, then suffice it to say that he/she will be “dealt with” quickly and ruthlessly.

11. pmac64 - Nov 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Not asking you sunshine.
    Go do one prick!

12. pmac64 - Nov 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Get your facts right before throwing accusations around son.
    I only registered yesterday, asked a perfectly question and got a rude remark from valospiers so he got one back.
    I am only sorry that I lowered myself to his level.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches