Nov 17, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle is a bit different from most NHL players. Plenty of them will talk about how much the lockout sucks, few of them will openly direct any of the blame on their side.
Boyle did just that when he said “I think right now both sides think it’s their way or the highway” last month.
For him, this isn’t about money — at least not on a personal level. He wants a deal that’s “fair for everybody,” but he’s 36 years old and has already made his fortune.
“It’s not the checks that I’m missing. My biggest concern is the fans,” Boyle said, in a CSN Bay Area report. “I’m so grateful and thankful to be playing this game, but if there’s nobody in the stands to play in front of, that’s the worst part. And that’s my biggest concern, is we’re hurting the game.
“We had some good steam coming in here. That’s what I worry about every day, and that’s what I talk to my wife about. I just don’t want to damage the fans, and the game.”
Of course, if the lockout does damage the NHL — and the fact that games have been missed that won’t be replaced makes that a certainty, at least in the short-term — that will shrink the pie both sides are fighting over.
Meanwhile, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman proposed a two-week moratorium on CBA talks, which Boyle, like many others, is against.
“I don’t understand it, because time is of the essence. I’d rather hammer away at it than waste another two weeks when time is so crucial,” Boyle said.
The NHLPA wants to resume CBA talks next week. We’ll see if the league agrees to that.
May 4, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
All three have won the Stanley Cup.
May 4, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Her husband faces domestic violence charges.
May 4, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
May 4, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT
And they’ll gladly keep taking man advantage opportunities, too.
May 4, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
“Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him.”
May 4, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Big news from the Devils.
May 4, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
And Glen Sather isn’t sure he’ll ever permit it, either.
May 4, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
“I have to get to the inside; that’s the biggest thing.”
May 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The Ducks have been deadly on the power play, unlike during the regular season.
May 4, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Youth-laden squad continues to impress.
May 4, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
“If it means allowing players to go to free agency, if it means making players sweat it out on what their deal’s going to be, he’s the priority for us.”
May 4, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Virtanen was the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft.
May 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Jets’ AHL team will play at the MTS Centre next season.
May 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
He’s hoping to “find a way to get a bigger role.”
May 4, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
“Prust has engaged himself in something that’s going to take him into an area where he doesn’t want to be part of.”
May 4, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
So says Bruce Boudreau.
May 4, 2015, 11:07 AM EDT
Trevor Lewis put the Americans out to an early advantage.
May 4, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Former Minnesota farmhand is on his way to Frolunda.
May 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Could play on Wednesday against Russia.
May 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Game 3 between the Rangers and Capitals is the lone game on the schedule.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 1
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 38
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 22
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (76)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)