Nov 17, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle is a bit different from most NHL players. Plenty of them will talk about how much the lockout sucks, few of them will openly direct any of the blame on their side.
Boyle did just that when he said “I think right now both sides think it’s their way or the highway” last month.
For him, this isn’t about money — at least not on a personal level. He wants a deal that’s “fair for everybody,” but he’s 36 years old and has already made his fortune.
“It’s not the checks that I’m missing. My biggest concern is the fans,” Boyle said, in a CSN Bay Area report. “I’m so grateful and thankful to be playing this game, but if there’s nobody in the stands to play in front of, that’s the worst part. And that’s my biggest concern, is we’re hurting the game.
“We had some good steam coming in here. That’s what I worry about every day, and that’s what I talk to my wife about. I just don’t want to damage the fans, and the game.”
Of course, if the lockout does damage the NHL — and the fact that games have been missed that won’t be replaced makes that a certainty, at least in the short-term — that will shrink the pie both sides are fighting over.
Meanwhile, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman proposed a two-week moratorium on CBA talks, which Boyle, like many others, is against.
“I don’t understand it, because time is of the essence. I’d rather hammer away at it than waste another two weeks when time is so crucial,” Boyle said.
The NHLPA wants to resume CBA talks next week. We’ll see if the league agrees to that.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Plenty of goals in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)