Nov 16, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Tonight kicks off the bulk of NBCSN’s college hockey broadcast schedule and getting things started is a classic Ivy League rivalry from a legendary college hockey arena, Lynah Rink.
7:30 p.m. ET – No. 10 Cornell Big Red (3-2-1) vs. Harvard Crimson (3-2-0)
Cornell and Harvard are no strangers to each other in any sport. When it comes to hockey, the hate seems to burn a little hotter and run a little deeper though.
With the ECAC season virtually just getting started, the Big Red come into tonight’s game stumbling a bit, winless in their last three games including two losses in a row to Princeton and Quinnipiac. Harvard split their weekend series last week losing to Union but beating RPI. They too are a bit off losing two of their last three, but it’s early. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
Players of NHL interest
Cornell: Sharks prospect Joakim Ryan is off to a hot start with six assists to lead the team in scoring. Meanwhile, Kings prospect Joel Lowry (pictured) is one of three Big Red players with three goals and an assist (undrafted John Esposito and Greg Miller are the others). Sophomore Brian Ferlin (Boston) is off to a slow start (just two assists), but he’s someone the Bruins are really high on.
Others to watch: Nick D’Agostino (Pittsburgh), John McCarron (Edmonton), Reece Wilcox (Philly)
Harvard: Freshman forward Jimmy Vesey (Nashville) is off to a torrid start with five goals and two assists while senior Alex Fallstrom (Boston) is there hooking up his teammates with a goal and three assists. Carolina defensive prospect Danny Biega (pictured) has just two assists to start the season, but he’s the guy to keep your eye on here.
Others to watch: Brian Hart (Tampa Bay), Colin Blackwell (San Jose), Patrick McNally (Vancouver), Max Everson (Toronto), Petr Placek (Philly)
(Photo: Rich Barnes/Icon SMI)
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 42
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)