Nov 16, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Tonight kicks off the bulk of NBCSN’s college hockey broadcast schedule and getting things started is a classic Ivy League rivalry from a legendary college hockey arena, Lynah Rink.
7:30 p.m. ET – No. 10 Cornell Big Red (3-2-1) vs. Harvard Crimson (3-2-0)
Cornell and Harvard are no strangers to each other in any sport. When it comes to hockey, the hate seems to burn a little hotter and run a little deeper though.
With the ECAC season virtually just getting started, the Big Red come into tonight’s game stumbling a bit, winless in their last three games including two losses in a row to Princeton and Quinnipiac. Harvard split their weekend series last week losing to Union but beating RPI. They too are a bit off losing two of their last three, but it’s early. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
Players of NHL interest
Cornell: Sharks prospect Joakim Ryan is off to a hot start with six assists to lead the team in scoring. Meanwhile, Kings prospect Joel Lowry (pictured) is one of three Big Red players with three goals and an assist (undrafted John Esposito and Greg Miller are the others). Sophomore Brian Ferlin (Boston) is off to a slow start (just two assists), but he’s someone the Bruins are really high on.
Others to watch: Nick D’Agostino (Pittsburgh), John McCarron (Edmonton), Reece Wilcox (Philly)
Harvard: Freshman forward Jimmy Vesey (Nashville) is off to a torrid start with five goals and two assists while senior Alex Fallstrom (Boston) is there hooking up his teammates with a goal and three assists. Carolina defensive prospect Danny Biega (pictured) has just two assists to start the season, but he’s the guy to keep your eye on here.
Others to watch: Brian Hart (Tampa Bay), Colin Blackwell (San Jose), Patrick McNally (Vancouver), Max Everson (Toronto), Petr Placek (Philly)
(Photo: Rich Barnes/Icon SMI)
Jul 6, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
That’s him in the blue shirt, standing next to ex-NHL goalie Dan Cloutier… who is 6’1.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
Spent last year with Colorado’s AHL affiliate.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
Click for all the cap hits.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
His Kelowna Rockets went to the 2015 Memorial Cup.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
“You basically say, ‘I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s a great place to play and we have great fans and a great stadium.'”
Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Played 59 games for the Sabres last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
“He gets to come in and have a heck of a year and put the screws to us.”
Jul 6, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
They have the arena, but not the potential owner.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Finished with a career-high 18 goals last season in Vancouver.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:58 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The 23-year-old could be in line for a significant raise.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)