Sens’ Regin on playing abroad: “You don’t want to take somebody else’s job, but that’s what the game is about”
Nov 16, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Having already experienced a brief stint in Europe, Ottawa forward Peter Regin knows it can be uncomfortable taking another player’s job.
That said, he doesn’t sound overly concerned about it.
“We all compete for the same jobs, but we’re also all colleagues,” he told the Ottawa Sun. “I guess you don’t want to take somebody else’s job, but that’s what the game is about.
“It’s what you do every year at camp. You knock somebody out.”
Regin spent a short while playing for SC Langenthal of the Swiss second division before returning to Ottawa at the end of October.
Now, he’s got a new offer on the table — from Lukko Rauma of the SM-liiga, Finland’s top league — one he’s going to sit on as he participates in a four-day tour of Northern Canada with fellow locked-out NHLers.
“I would like to go there, that’s my first priority, especially because my friends are there and it would be fun to play with them again,” Regin said of Lukko, which currently employs fellow Danes Frans Nielsen, Mikkel Boedker and Philip Larsen. “(But) a lot of guys have signed month-to-month deals (with European teams), so if it gets blown up here, at least you can go somewhere else and sign for bigger money.”
Regin’s comments directly contrast those made by Anaheim Ducks forward Bobby Ryan.
Before the CBA expired on Sept. 15, Ryan went public with his plans to stay in North America during the lockout.
“I know you’ll lose guys right way,” Ryan said. “That being said, I’m an NHL player. I’m not going to take somebody else’s job overseas.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)