Nov 16, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
If not for this pesky lockout, last night at Rogers Arena would’ve been one of the most anticipated nights of the NHL’s regular season.
That’s because it was supposed to be the first meeting between the Canucks and Blackhawks since March 21 when Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith caught Vancouver forward Daniel Sedin with a flying elbow.
For a play the NHL deemed “dangerous” and “reckless,” Keith was suspended five games.
Unfortunately for the Canucks, Sedin didn’t get off so easy. The 2011 Art Ross Trophy winner missed the rest of the regular season (nine games) and three playoff games with a concussion.
Without Sedin, Vancouver lost the first three games of its opening-round series against the Kings, got eliminated in five, then had to watch Los Angeles roll to its first Stanley Cup win in franchise history.
So yeah, you can see why last night could’ve been interesting.
Alas, we’ll have to wait a little longer to witness the latest chapter in the Canucks-‘Hawks rivalry.
In the meantime, Sedin is skating with a handful of teammates in Vancouver and trying to put the concussion concerns behind him.
“You notice at times, in the first few practices, that you’re kind of hesitant in the corners because you don’t want to be blind-sided and not be ready for it,” he told The Province on Thursday. “You see the tiniest hit and it cost a guy a full year and you see a big hit and a guy is back in a week. It’s a tricky injury and that’s why it’s so scary.
“I’ve had nothing, no symptoms. I took a few weeks off after the season and started training again. You worry about the first few workouts, but everything has been fine. I’m doing the same things that I did before [the concussion] and that was the bottom line.”
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Was quite the playoff run for L.A. and its 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Check back often. It’s an all-day thing.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (68)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)