Nov 16, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman proposed two-week moratorium on CBA talks doesn’t encourage optimism, but things could be worse — this could be the 2004-05 lockout.
“I was always positive,” said Kaberle in a Toronto Star report. “If I have to think of 2005 and now, I have to say I’m more positive this time around because everybody is on the same page and it makes a big difference for every one of us as a group.”
The NHL and union didn’t engage in any formal negotiations in the fall of 2004, so even with the latest setback, an argument could be made that this lockout has been progressing at a faster pace. Of course, that doesn’t change the fact that the only positive scenario would have been no lockout at all.
Eventually something will need to give, but Kaberle doesn’t think that Bettman and the owners are the only ones that have to change in order to salvage the 2012-13 campaign.
“Both sides need to smarten up,” Kaberle said. “Everybody is missing hockey, obviously. Just have to be calm and practice every day and get ready for the season to start.”
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 36
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 57
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 88
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (88)