Nov 16, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
So…this probably won’t help end the lockout.
According to Red Wings defenseman Ian White, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is an “idiot” that’s “done nothing but damage the game.”
White’s full quote from Friday, as per MLive.com, follows:
“I got to be honest, I personally think he’s an idiot. Since he’s come in I think he’s done nothing but damage the game. If you think of all the moves he’s made, the teams that are all struggling seem to be the teams he put in places where there’s (less support for hockey).”
We’re not going to spend too much time breaking down White’s justifications for criticizing Bettman. The substance of White’s argument isn’t new and most fans are sick and tired of debating which side is right or wrong in this dispute.
The story here is a player calling the commissioner an “idiot,” because it represents the decline of civility in this lockout.
Granted, it’s not quite Chris Chelios taking a page out of the mafia playbook…
…so at least we know players have said worse during lockouts and seasons have still been saved.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
The Calgary defenseman was sidelined since Oct. 21.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
He notched a career-high four points Wednesday.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Head coach Patrick Roy hasn’t been happy with his work.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Detroit sees end of four-game winning streak.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?”
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Hard lines, Team Finland.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Tough blow for the reigning Vezina winner.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:14 PM EST
And as a bonus, their names rhyme.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Neither he nor Michal Handzus will suit up in Minnesota.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
He’s missed the last three games.
Dec 4, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
That picture was not taken today.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
With a special shout-out to Austria’s 1927 European championship team.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
“Frankly, in my mind we’re playing him too much.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)