Nov 16, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
So…this probably won’t help end the lockout.
According to Red Wings defenseman Ian White, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is an “idiot” that’s “done nothing but damage the game.”
White’s full quote from Friday, as per MLive.com, follows:
“I got to be honest, I personally think he’s an idiot. Since he’s come in I think he’s done nothing but damage the game. If you think of all the moves he’s made, the teams that are all struggling seem to be the teams he put in places where there’s (less support for hockey).”
We’re not going to spend too much time breaking down White’s justifications for criticizing Bettman. The substance of White’s argument isn’t new and most fans are sick and tired of debating which side is right or wrong in this dispute.
The story here is a player calling the commissioner an “idiot,” because it represents the decline of civility in this lockout.
Granted, it’s not quite Chris Chelios taking a page out of the mafia playbook…
…so at least we know players have said worse during lockouts and seasons have still been saved.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)