Nov 16, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
So…this probably won’t help end the lockout.
According to Red Wings defenseman Ian White, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is an “idiot” that’s “done nothing but damage the game.”
White’s full quote from Friday, as per MLive.com, follows:
“I got to be honest, I personally think he’s an idiot. Since he’s come in I think he’s done nothing but damage the game. If you think of all the moves he’s made, the teams that are all struggling seem to be the teams he put in places where there’s (less support for hockey).”
We’re not going to spend too much time breaking down White’s justifications for criticizing Bettman. The substance of White’s argument isn’t new and most fans are sick and tired of debating which side is right or wrong in this dispute.
The story here is a player calling the commissioner an “idiot,” because it represents the decline of civility in this lockout.
Granted, it’s not quite Chris Chelios taking a page out of the mafia playbook…
…so at least we know players have said worse during lockouts and seasons have still been saved.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)