Nov 16, 2012, 4:38 PM EST
New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek is helping a team in need.
According to NJ.com, Vanderbeek is lending out the Prudential Center ice to the East Side High School hockey team after their regular rink was rendered unusable in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.
“It essentially saved our season,” said East Side teacher Keith Veltre.
Here’s more, from NJ.com’s David Giambusso:
The Red Raiders’ regular rink at the Ironbound Recreation Center is still not back on line after Hurricane Sandy.
“They haven’t been able to get the ice down,” said Keith Veltre, who with fellow teacher Dennis Ruppe, founded Hockey in Newark — a Devils-sponsored program that teaches the game to Newark students…
…Vanderbeek said he took a lot of pride in the program which has already helped send a few Newark students to college.
“We’re very committed to this program,” he said adding he hopes it will one day foster an NHL first-round draft pick.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)