Nov 16, 2012, 4:38 PM EST
New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek is helping a team in need.
According to NJ.com, Vanderbeek is lending out the Prudential Center ice to the East Side High School hockey team after their regular rink was rendered unusable in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.
“It essentially saved our season,” said East Side teacher Keith Veltre.
Here’s more, from NJ.com’s David Giambusso:
The Red Raiders’ regular rink at the Ironbound Recreation Center is still not back on line after Hurricane Sandy.
“They haven’t been able to get the ice down,” said Keith Veltre, who with fellow teacher Dennis Ruppe, founded Hockey in Newark — a Devils-sponsored program that teaches the game to Newark students…
…Vanderbeek said he took a lot of pride in the program which has already helped send a few Newark students to college.
“We’re very committed to this program,” he said adding he hopes it will one day foster an NHL first-round draft pick.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)