Nov 16, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
On Friday, Johnny Boychuk became the 11th locked-out Bruin to sign overseas, joining Red Bull Salzburg of Austria’s Erste Bank Eishockey Liga.
News of the signing was first reported by CSN New England’s Joe Haggery.
Boychuk, 28, is the latest NHLer to try his hand playing in Austria. Chicago’s Bryan Bickell, Carolina’s Andreas Nodl, New York Islander’s Michael Grabner, Buffalo’s Tyler Myers and Edmonton’s Sam Gagner are currently there, while the likes of New Jersey’s David Clarkson, Winnipeg’s Tobias Enstrom and Buffalo’s Thomas Vanek have come and gone.
(Of note, Boychuk will replace Enstrom as Salzburg’s NHL “import” defenseman.)
The move to Austria comes nearly nine months after Boychuk agreed to a three-year, $10.1 million extension with the Bruins. Boston was keen to lock him up after a solid 2011-12 campaign which saw him play in a career-high 77 games and average a career-high 20:37 minutes per.
As mentioned above, Boychuk is one of a growing number of Bruins playing abroad. Andrew Ference (Czech Extraliga), Tyler Seguin (Switzerland), Rich Peverly (Finland), Tuukka Rask (Czech Extraliga), Dennis Seidenberg (Germany), Zdeno Chara (KHL), Patrice Bergeron (Switzerland), David Krejci (Czech Extraliga) and Chris Kelly (Switzerland) are the others.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)