Nov 16, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Martinez, 25, was struck by a high point shot during a SM-liiga game on Tuesday. He immediately fell to the ice but was able to get back to his feet and attempt to skate off.
From there, he was dispatched to hospital for further tests and evaluation. Kings blog Mayor’s Manor later reported that Martinez suffered a fractured cheekbone that would require surgery.
Details about the procedure and recovery time have been hard to come by but, on Friday, Kings forward Dustin Penner sent out the following tweet regarding his injured teammate:
Everyone send some love out to @amartinez_27 for a speedy recovery. slap shot to the face. 6 fractures, metal plates gettin put in #143 :(
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) November 16, 2012
Martinez signed with TPS in early October and appeared in 11 games for the club.
In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)