Nov 16, 2012, 3:55 PM EST
Martinez, 25, was struck by a high point shot during a SM-liiga game on Tuesday. He immediately fell to the ice but was able to get back to his feet and attempt to skate off.
From there, he was dispatched to hospital for further tests and evaluation. Kings blog Mayor’s Manor later reported that Martinez suffered a fractured cheekbone that would require surgery.
Details about the procedure and recovery time have been hard to come by but, on Friday, Kings forward Dustin Penner sent out the following tweet regarding his injured teammate:
Everyone send some love out to @amartinez_27 for a speedy recovery. slap shot to the face. 6 fractures, metal plates gettin put in #143 :(
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) November 16, 2012
Martinez signed with TPS in early October and appeared in 11 games for the club.
In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 4
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 16
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 59
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5