Nov 16, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Martinez, 25, was struck by a high point shot during a SM-liiga game on Tuesday. He immediately fell to the ice but was able to get back to his feet and attempt to skate off.
From there, he was dispatched to hospital for further tests and evaluation. Kings blog Mayor’s Manor later reported that Martinez suffered a fractured cheekbone that would require surgery.
Details about the procedure and recovery time have been hard to come by but, on Friday, Kings forward Dustin Penner sent out the following tweet regarding his injured teammate:
Everyone send some love out to @amartinez_27 for a speedy recovery. slap shot to the face. 6 fractures, metal plates gettin put in #143 :(
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) November 16, 2012
Martinez signed with TPS in early October and appeared in 11 games for the club.
In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63