Nov 16, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Martinez, 25, was struck by a high point shot during a SM-liiga game on Tuesday. He immediately fell to the ice but was able to get back to his feet and attempt to skate off.
From there, he was dispatched to hospital for further tests and evaluation. Kings blog Mayor’s Manor later reported that Martinez suffered a fractured cheekbone that would require surgery.
Details about the procedure and recovery time have been hard to come by but, on Friday, Kings forward Dustin Penner sent out the following tweet regarding his injured teammate:
Everyone send some love out to @amartinez_27 for a speedy recovery. slap shot to the face. 6 fractures, metal plates gettin put in #143 :(
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) November 16, 2012
Martinez signed with TPS in early October and appeared in 11 games for the club.
In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)