Nov 16, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Martinez, 25, was struck by a high point shot during a SM-liiga game on Tuesday. He immediately fell to the ice but was able to get back to his feet and attempt to skate off.
From there, he was dispatched to hospital for further tests and evaluation. Kings blog Mayor’s Manor later reported that Martinez suffered a fractured cheekbone that would require surgery.
Details about the procedure and recovery time have been hard to come by but, on Friday, Kings forward Dustin Penner sent out the following tweet regarding his injured teammate:
Everyone send some love out to @amartinez_27 for a speedy recovery. slap shot to the face. 6 fractures, metal plates gettin put in #143 :(
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) November 16, 2012
Martinez signed with TPS in early October and appeared in 11 games for the club.
In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)