Lockout (kind of) pushed Canucks coach Vigneault into parents’ basement

Nov 15, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT

Comments Off on Lockout (kind of) pushed Canucks coach Vigneault into parents’ basement
Alain Vigneault AP

Alain Vigneault has taken the Vancouver Canucks to the Stanley Cup finals and, lately, he’s lived in his parents’ basement at the age of 51.

He has the lockout to blame for that — but it’s not because his financial situation has gotten so bad that he had no where else to turn.

“A lot of people were saying: ‘Boy, the lockout must really be affecting you money-wise if you have to go back and live with your parents,'” Vigneault said in a Vancouver Sun report. “For a while, it was a running joke. I was doing some renovations on my home and I had to move back in with my parents.

“I wasn’t supposed to be here. Training camp was going to start and I would be in Vancouver and the renovations would get done while I was away. Then the lockout appeared and I was here and had to move back in with my parents.”

Vigneault said his parents seemed pretty happy about it, although he’s not use to being back home in Gatineau, Quebec during the hockey season.

Compared to some of the other lockout stories we covered, this one might be viewed as a little more lighthearted. However, it’s worth adding that, beyond the players, owners, and coaches, there are others who have been financially hurt by the lockout, some of which didn’t have a lot to start with.

As sports business commentator Tom Mayenknecht put it back in September, “It is the part-time employees, those who are relying on a little bit of an extra bump to meet ends on their a car payments or on their mortgages.

“We’re talking about waitresses, bartenders in pubs that have a big spike when there is NHL hockey being played.”

For Vigneault’s part, like so many others, he hopes this lockout ends soon.

“I swear to God, I miss you guys,” he told the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre, while referring to the media. “I’m looking so forward to getting back and having one of those special pre-game press conferences with you guys. I can’t wait to do that again.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: ‘I got bumped the whole game,’ says Crawford

May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT

Getty Images

Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.

2. Bylsma free to pursue any coaching gig, says Rutherford

May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

Bylsma

Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.

3. Sabres GM Murray lauds ‘great’ process with Babcock, confirms no deal ever in place

May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT

Tim Murray AP

“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”

4. B’s sign Finnish forward Kemppainen to one-year, $700K deal

May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Joonas Kemppainen, Jan Laco Getty Images

Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.

5. Will Hitch be back? Blues still ‘going through the process’

May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Ken Hitchcock AP

“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”

6. Milbury’s ‘tongue-in-cheek’ remarks about Perry discussed, says NBC exec (Video)

May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

Mike Milbury

“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”

7. Report: Sabres get permission to interview Bylsma

May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT

Dan Bylsma AP

As many as six new head coaches could still be named.

8. Versteeg ‘wants to play in the worst way’

May 21, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT

Nashville Predators v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six Nashville Predators v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six

Some have wondered if he could replace goal-less Bryan Bickell.

9. Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’

May 21, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Mike Babcock Mike Babcock

“We need to create a safe environment for the players.”

Babcock has his work cut out in Toronto
Top 10 NHL Player Searches