LaFontaine “fairly optimistic” there will be hockey this season

Nov 15, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT

Pat LaFontaine Getty Images

Pat LaFontaine can’t imagine the NHL losing another season to a work stoppage. Not so soon after the 2004-05 lockout that cost the entire schedule.

Instead, LaFontaine expects a new CBA to be reached soon and a shortened season to be played, like what followed the 1994-95 lockout.

“They’ve obviously done this before,” LaFontaine told The Buffalo News on Wednesday. “They’ve obviously lost a season before. But I’m fairly optimistic you’ll see some kind of agreement by Dec. 1. I believe that. I feel real strongly that knowing what it was like to lose a season, knowing what it was like to gain a half-season, they’ve been through both sides and know the importance of needing to have at least a half-season or more.

“I’m fairly optimistic that we’ll see hockey. I hope before Christmas, but I think worst-case scenario – I’m an optimistic person – I see at least a half a season.”

LaFontaine is far from alone in his “they can’t possibly do this again” reckoning, but the doom-and-gloom reports from the owners’ side are tough to ignore.

Latest Posts
  1. Lightning’s Filppula, Palat expected to return for Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula

Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.

2. Fleury’s true comeback bid starts tonight

Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury Marc-Andre Fleury

His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.

3. 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks

Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

StanleyCupPlayoffs14

Add yours in the comments section.

4. Report: Duchene to miss at least first two games of Avalanche-Wild series

Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.

5. Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall

Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

NHL2014Draft

After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.

6. Pressing question: Will Philly get the goaltending?

Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Steve Mason, Ray Emery AP

Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?

7. NHL hit with third concussion lawsuit

Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

bettmangetty Getty Images

Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.

8. PHT Extra: Can the Jackets upset the Penguins?

Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

What about the Stars over the Ducks?

9. Boudreau won’t say who’s starting for Ducks, but the money’s on Andersen

Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Frederik Andersen, Jonas Hiller AP

“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”

10. Calgary’s AHL affiliate parts ways with Abbotsford

Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

abbotsford heat logo

The city has terminated the contract.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches