Jared Boll signs with Finnish club

Nov 15, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT

Comments Off on Jared Boll signs with Finnish club
Jared Boll, Kevin Westgarth Getty Images

Jared Boll inked a two-year/$2.1 million contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets over the summer, but the lockout has forced him to make other plans.

With that in mind, Boll has signed with TuTo of the Finnish second division, according to the Columbus Dispatch. The team plays in Turku, Finland.

“To be honest, it doesn’t really matter where I got to play, I just really needed to play,” Boll said. “I’ve just reached the point here where it’s enough sitting around and waiting for stuff to get going. I need to play, so let’s find a good spot and get going with it. And I’ve heard nothing but good things about Turku.”

Boll has led the NHL with 113 fighting majors since his debut in 2007-08, but he’ll be joining a league where players rarely drop their gloves.

“It’ll be good for me,” Boll said. “There’s a lot of skating on the big ice and there’s no fighting, so I can just focus on the hockey. I’m going to have fun with that. It’ll be nice to play without having that thought in the back of your head that you have to fight all the time.”

Boll’s focus will be on getting into better shape in preparation for the possibility of a shortened NHL season.

Latest Posts
  1. Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’

Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT

Milan Lucic AP

His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.

2. Success for McDavid isn’t purely a numbers game

Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Connor McDavid AP

The start of his rookie campaign is approaching.

3. Hitch finds silver lining in Berglund injury

Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Patrik Berglund Getty Images

Who will take advantage of the opening?

4. Neuvirth cites Voracek as his reason for joining Flyers

Aug 31, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

New York Islanders v Washington Capitals - Game Five Getty Images

The two have previously played together on the Czech national team.

5. Hurricanes add Ray Whitney, three others to scouting staff

Aug 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Jeff Daniels Getty Images

Former coach Jeff Daniels is also staying within the organization after being relieved of his AHL coaching duties.

6. Poll: Will Seabrook re-sign?

Aug 31, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

You can expect this question to be asked throughout the year.

7. Under Pressure: Stan Bowman

Aug 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Stan Bowman AP

Heck, the ‘Hawks are still over the salary cap ceiling.

8. Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane?

Aug 31, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Getty Images

Chicago’s star forward remains under police investigation.

9. Looking to make the leap: Artemi Panarin

Aug 31, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Artemi Panarin AP

Can his KHL success translate to North America?

10. Blackhawks ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 31, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT

Jonathan Toews Getty Images

Plenty of changes in the Windy City.

11. It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT

Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six

The defending Stanley Cup champs dealt away key pieces in the offseason.

12. Cooke: ‘I have fire in my belly, I still feel I can play’

Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Matt Cooke Matt Cooke

The 36-year-old is still looking for a contract after being bought out by the Wild.

13. Poll: Will Minnesota’s power play improve this season?

Aug 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

The Wild ranked 27th overall last season with the man advantage.

14. Wild’s biggest question: Who will step up at center?

Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Mikael Granlund Mikael Granlund

Granlund scored just eight goals last season while playing between Pominville and Parise.

15. Looking to make the leap: Mike Reilly

Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional

He’s hoping to crack the Wild’s opening night roster after three seasons at the University of Minnesota.

16. Under Pressure: Devan Dubnyk

Aug 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

150831-Devan-Dubnyk Getty Images

He’ll have to prove last season was not a fluke.

17. Report: Ballard, Leopold leaning towards retirement

Aug 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Keith Ballard Keith Ballard

Both blue liners are unrestricted free agents.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches