Nov 15, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Some good news out of Montreal on Wednesday: Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion was released from hospital after undergoing surgery for a depressed skull fracture.
The 24-year-old has yet to speak publicly — he did manage to walk around downtown Montreal and have lunch with his fiancee — but his father, Danny, updated Blake’s status.
“You almost have to think it’s a miracle,” the elder Geoffrion told the Montreal Gazette. “[Blake] just can’t believe that this has happened. And that’s what is so tough mentally.
“He’s just asking himself the ‘why’ question.”
Here’s more on Geoffrion’s trying last few days, from the Hamilton Spectator:
During a CT scan, Blake had gone into convulsions. Quickly it became apparent that he had a depressed skull fracture and a piece of his skull had been pushed into his brain. This was suddenly very dangerous. Without hesitation, they OK’d the operation. Then waited nervously for word…
…A day later, Danny says he and his wife stared out the window as the sun rose over Montreal, a city he knows so well. It was beautiful, he thought. Then they turned and looked at their kid lying on a hospital bed. Half his head was shaved. A long, snaking incision starting from his sideburn curled over the scalp to look like a giant question mark.
It remains unclear if Geoffrion will be able to return to the ice this season.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)