Nov 15, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Kevin Miller, a veteran of over 600 NHL contests, is being sued by an insurance company for a devastating hit he delivered during a 2000 Swiss League game.
The insurance company, Allianz Suisse Versicherungs-Gesellschaft, is seeking $1.6 million for an incident between Miller — then a member of HC Davos — and Andrew McKim, formerly of the Zurich Lions.
The skinny, from MLive.com:
The incident leading to the injury occurred during a championship game on Oct. 31, 2000, at Zurcher Hallenstadion. Court documents said Miller “jabbed (McKim) with the elbow on the rear upper side of the body.”
McKim hit his head on the ice.
“When the injured party was ‘checked’ from behind, the doctor contended that – as when a person is run over by a car – the injured party initially suffered a whiplash-type blow to the head from behind, and then a massive strike to the front side of the face on the ice,” a translated Swiss judgment said.
In an IIHF piece documenting the incident, the hit reportedly forced McKim to retire from hockey due to a traumatic brain injury and sprain of the cervical spine.
“Just after the collision, McKim’s cognitive skills were so shaky he could not recall if he even had children,” the article states.
The insurance company is asking a federal judge to recognize a Swiss court ruling of $1 million against Miller. In turn, Miller has filed a lawsuit against the Swiss insurance company that represented Davos, contending the insurer agreed to pay the judgement.
Following the hit on McKim, Miller went on to play two more seasons in Davos before returning to North America for the 2003-04 season. He signed with Detroit and played in 71 games with AHL Grand Rapids that year, making four appearances for the Red Wings.
May 18, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
His club’s down 0-2 to the Kings…
May 18, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Their critical press release fund must be dry.
May 18, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Is that “grossly unfair,” too?
May 18, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The captain cares not for the rough stuff.
May 18, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Flying through the air going five-hole? Yes.
May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s their first finals appearance since 1935.
May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 18, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Lineup shuffles are on the way.
May 18, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s his call whether to go or not.
May 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
On-ice chatter at its best.
May 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed 12 games with a broken thumb.
May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Cap troubles and no-trade clauses abound.
May 18, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
He’ll need three months rehab for a third-degree MCL sprain.
May 18, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
A preview of today’s games is ahead.
May 18, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Selke finalists show us how it’s done.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
May 17, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
Ottawa in a hole.
May 17, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh now two wins away from advancing to conference final.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 18
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 27
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 23
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2