Nov 15, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
For the second straight day, the Red Wings received bad news regarding one of their young players.
Marek Tvrdon, a 2011 fourth-round selection currently playing for WHL Vancouver, will reportedly miss the remainder of the season after undergoing a medical procedure to dissolve a vein blockage in his left shoulder.
The news comes a day after Riley Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick in 2010, was arrested for “superdrunk” driving in Grand Rapids.
“Marek is under the excellent care of numerous specialists and he is recovering quickly,” said Vancouver GM Scott Bonner. “He will not be returning this season but he is expected to have a full recovery and future career as a hockey player.
“Right now our priority is Marek’s health and well-being and we would like to respect his and his family’s privacy.”
At the time the ailment was discovered, Tvrdon was leading Vancouver in scoring with 22 points in 18 games and was a top-30 scorer in the Western League.
The 19-year-old Slovak native has been a tantalizing talent at times, but has only shown flashes of promise due to injury. in 2010-11, he played in just 12 games after his season was cut short by shoulder surgery.
At the 2012 World Juniors, Tvrdon scored 3G-1A-4PTS in six games for Team Slovakia, which finished sixth at the tournament.
Jun 20, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
“Corey has been great for us all year, all playoffs.”
Jun 20, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
It boils down to mistakes of all kinds.
Jun 20, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
What a difference one goal makes.
Jun 20, 2013, 12:37 AM EDT
He played less than three minutes in Game 4.
Jun 20, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
“If he sees the puck, he’s going to be almost impossible to beat.”
Jun 19, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
His middle name isn’t “Game Over.” We checked.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
It’s now 2-2 after an exciting 6-5 thriller.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
The Bruins won’t give up.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
… And there were plenty of other close calls.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks would appreciate the cap space.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
Michal Handzus scores first, Rich Peverley ties it.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The money part has been settled, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
In case you were worrying about another late scratch.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
The Swede wasn’t getting benched during playoff games, for one.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Tough timing for free agent Mason Raymond.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
37-year-old ‘tender ready to call it a career.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
That’s a picture of Mike Komisarek.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s Dan Bylsma considered to be a favorite for the position.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Which could be why they end up swapping coaches.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
The players’ union and Board of Governors will vote near the end of the exhibition campaign.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 26
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming