Nov 15, 2012, 4:43 PM EST
For the second straight day, the Red Wings received bad news regarding one of their young players.
Marek Tvrdon, a 2011 fourth-round selection currently playing for WHL Vancouver, will reportedly miss the remainder of the season after undergoing a medical procedure to dissolve a vein blockage in his left shoulder.
The news comes a day after Riley Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick in 2010, was arrested for “superdrunk” driving in Grand Rapids.
“Marek is under the excellent care of numerous specialists and he is recovering quickly,” said Vancouver GM Scott Bonner. “He will not be returning this season but he is expected to have a full recovery and future career as a hockey player.
“Right now our priority is Marek’s health and well-being and we would like to respect his and his family’s privacy.”
At the time the ailment was discovered, Tvrdon was leading Vancouver in scoring with 22 points in 18 games and was a top-30 scorer in the Western League.
The 19-year-old Slovak native has been a tantalizing talent at times, but has only shown flashes of promise due to injury. in 2010-11, he played in just 12 games after his season was cut short by shoulder surgery.
At the 2012 World Juniors, Tvrdon scored 3G-1A-4PTS in six games for Team Slovakia, which finished sixth at the tournament.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)