Nov 15, 2012, 4:43 PM EST
For the second straight day, the Red Wings received bad news regarding one of their young players.
Marek Tvrdon, a 2011 fourth-round selection currently playing for WHL Vancouver, will reportedly miss the remainder of the season after undergoing a medical procedure to dissolve a vein blockage in his left shoulder.
The news comes a day after Riley Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick in 2010, was arrested for “superdrunk” driving in Grand Rapids.
“Marek is under the excellent care of numerous specialists and he is recovering quickly,” said Vancouver GM Scott Bonner. “He will not be returning this season but he is expected to have a full recovery and future career as a hockey player.
“Right now our priority is Marek’s health and well-being and we would like to respect his and his family’s privacy.”
At the time the ailment was discovered, Tvrdon was leading Vancouver in scoring with 22 points in 18 games and was a top-30 scorer in the Western League.
The 19-year-old Slovak native has been a tantalizing talent at times, but has only shown flashes of promise due to injury. in 2010-11, he played in just 12 games after his season was cut short by shoulder surgery.
At the 2012 World Juniors, Tvrdon scored 3G-1A-4PTS in six games for Team Slovakia, which finished sixth at the tournament.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)