Nov 15, 2012, 10:59 AM EST
The signing was also confirmed by Chimera’s agent, Alan Walsh.
Fairly or not, eyebrows will be raised given Chimera has agreed to join a team that’s been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately.
During a game on Oct. 28, Chomutov fans rained down racist chants on ex-Liberec forward Wayne Simmonds — “Opice”, which translates to “monkey” in English — and fallout from the incident has been widespread.
Chomutov officials immediately addressed the situation and sent an apology letter to Simmonds condemning the actions, but the club was still fined by the Extraliga.
Then, this week, the story was back in the news.
On the same day Simmonds and Stewart left Liberec, reports surfaced that eight Chomutov fans allegedly involved in the chants had been arrested and charged with “misdemeanor disorderly conduct and defamation of nation, race and other ethnic groups.”
[They attend] games in a black hooded sweatshirt and scarf, imbibing a considerable amount of booze before games. (One of the accused fans, Radek Pribyl, said he had 10 beers and two shots but was only “mildly drunk” because he’s “trained” for that level of consumption.)
Some of the fans claim they joined the “monkey” chants but didn’t start them; others claim they didn’t join them at all.
The prosecution has accused the fans of chanting “‘hu hu hu’, ‘Ku Klux Klan’ and the song ‘Dead Gypsy floating in the river.’” (Rough translation, but that last song is an extremist staple.)
The fans claim the “gypsy” song is an arena standard, aimed at the referees. As for the other chant, Pribyl is quoted by iDNES.cz as saying:
“Ku Klux Klan has always sung to We Will Rock You. Racism has nothing to do [with it].”
Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonika spoke with Simmonds after the incident. The Flyers winger said nobody from Chomutov told him about the chants — he learned what they meant and learned of the club’s apology letter on the Internet.
The Czechs were embarrassed. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and say they had the absolute best intentions. As defenseman Ladislav Smid said then, they didn’t want to make Simmonds feel uncomfortable. But their silence might have made him feel more uncomfortable.
Simmonds later told Smid he should have told him.
On Wednesday, Simmonds’ agent spoke to USA Today about his client’s departure.
“I don’t want to say it didn’t have anything to do [with the racial taunts],” King explained. “But it was a bunch of things that added up.”
Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
The kind of pass you’d don a mullet wig for.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 AM EST
The Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets drew more than 30,000 fans.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)