Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is spending Thursday night on the streets of Toronto with just a sleeping bag and a piece of cardboard to raise funds and awareness about youth homelessness.
The charity’s he’s supporting, Covenant House, estimates there are 2,000 youth living outside on any given night in Toronto.
“It’s a real important cause in our city,” Burke said Wednesday on Sportsnet radio. “For one night we’ll face the conditions that face homeless youth in our city.”
Meanwhile, Burke is denying there’s a deal in place to acquire Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo once the lockout is over.
In October, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported that a “reputable source” told him that Luongo would be traded to Toronto as soon as the NHL and NHLPA reach a new CBA.
Canucks GM Mike Gillis also denied the report.
Despite the denials, the deal does make sense. Toronto’s goaltending struggles have been well-documented, and if Tyler Bozak is available, the Canucks could be interested in acquiring his services to fill their third-line center opening.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)