Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is spending Thursday night on the streets of Toronto with just a sleeping bag and a piece of cardboard to raise funds and awareness about youth homelessness.
The charity’s he’s supporting, Covenant House, estimates there are 2,000 youth living outside on any given night in Toronto.
“It’s a real important cause in our city,” Burke said Wednesday on Sportsnet radio. “For one night we’ll face the conditions that face homeless youth in our city.”
Meanwhile, Burke is denying there’s a deal in place to acquire Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo once the lockout is over.
In October, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported that a “reputable source” told him that Luongo would be traded to Toronto as soon as the NHL and NHLPA reach a new CBA.
Canucks GM Mike Gillis also denied the report.
Despite the denials, the deal does make sense. Toronto’s goaltending struggles have been well-documented, and if Tyler Bozak is available, the Canucks could be interested in acquiring his services to fill their third-line center opening.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)