Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is spending Thursday night on the streets of Toronto with just a sleeping bag and a piece of cardboard to raise funds and awareness about youth homelessness.
The charity’s he’s supporting, Covenant House, estimates there are 2,000 youth living outside on any given night in Toronto.
“It’s a real important cause in our city,” Burke said Wednesday on Sportsnet radio. “For one night we’ll face the conditions that face homeless youth in our city.”
Meanwhile, Burke is denying there’s a deal in place to acquire Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo once the lockout is over.
In October, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported that a “reputable source” told him that Luongo would be traded to Toronto as soon as the NHL and NHLPA reach a new CBA.
Canucks GM Mike Gillis also denied the report.
Despite the denials, the deal does make sense. Toronto’s goaltending struggles have been well-documented, and if Tyler Bozak is available, the Canucks could be interested in acquiring his services to fill their third-line center opening.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)