Nov 14, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
Last night, we passed along work that Detroit forward Valtteri Filppula suffered a knee injury while playing for Finnish team Jokerit.
Today, the MRI results are in…and it’s not good news for the Red Wings.
Filppula will reportedly miss the next 6-8 weeks with a sprained right knee, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
Based on an earlier report from MLive’s Ansar Khan, it’s believed to be a MCL sprain.
The news could be a serious blow to Detroit, especially if the NHL season resumes within the next two months. Filppula is coming off a career season with the Wings — 23G-43A-66PTS in 81 games — and had gotten off to a magical start with Jokerit, racking up 15 points in his first 16 games.
Contractually, there could be issues as well.
Filppula, 28, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million deal signed back in 2008. While it seems unlikely he’d struggle to find get an extension given how well he played in 2011-12, no impending UFA wants his “contract year” marred by a bothersome knee.
And let’s not forget — if a player is injured while playing in another league during the lockout, an NHL club can suspend him without pay until he is fit to play.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)