Nov 14, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
Last night, we passed along work that Detroit forward Valtteri Filppula suffered a knee injury while playing for Finnish team Jokerit.
Today, the MRI results are in…and it’s not good news for the Red Wings.
Filppula will reportedly miss the next 6-8 weeks with a sprained right knee, according to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
Based on an earlier report from MLive’s Ansar Khan, it’s believed to be a MCL sprain.
The news could be a serious blow to Detroit, especially if the NHL season resumes within the next two months. Filppula is coming off a career season with the Wings — 23G-43A-66PTS in 81 games — and had gotten off to a magical start with Jokerit, racking up 15 points in his first 16 games.
Contractually, there could be issues as well.
Filppula, 28, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million deal signed back in 2008. While it seems unlikely he’d struggle to find get an extension given how well he played in 2011-12, no impending UFA wants his “contract year” marred by a bothersome knee.
And let’s not forget — if a player is injured while playing in another league during the lockout, an NHL club can suspend him without pay until he is fit to play.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)