Nov 14, 2012, 10:44 AM EST
Michal Handzus is headed home.
That was the word out of Slovakia on Tuesday as the veteran center signed with former club HC Banska Bystrica, according to the team website.
Handzus was born in Banska Bystrica and played for the club at both the junior and senior levels before joining the St. Louis organization in 1997.
Last year, the 35-year-old appeared in 67 games for the Sharks, finishing with 7G-17A-24PTS. He struggled with a hip injury over the final six weeks of the season and only appeared in two of San Jose’s five games in an opening round playoff loss to St. Louis.
In Banska Bystrica, Handzus will be coached by former Nashville Predatords forward Vladimir Orszagh. The two were teammates on Slovakia’s gold medal-winning side at the 2002 IIHF World Championships.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:09 AM EST
They label Jimmy Howard as day-to-day.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
They fell to Winnipeg 2-1 on Friday.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Then again, maybe the Ryan – Zibanejad – Hoffman line was just that good.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:01 PM EST
A beauty in regulation and in the shootout.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
Sven Andrighetto is back up while Eric Tangradi heads to the AHL.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
They’re playing safe for “precautionary” reasons.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
It’s been 2,599 days since that last happened.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:47 PM EST
Let’s hope it’s just that type of illness …
Dec 19, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
It’s almost starting to feel like he has mutant powers.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:28 PM EST
They recalled Alexander Wennberg and Cody Goloubef.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
Is under going an MRI today.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
“As a family, we are thrilled that Dad’s quality of life has greatly improved, and his progress has exceeded our greatest expectations.”
Dec 19, 2014, 4:34 PM EST
Bring on the trade speculation.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:10 PM EST
32-year-old has played in 56 career NHL contests.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
“Where’s the Tylenol?”
Dec 19, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
Off to the Marlies he goes.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Jeff Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:54 PM EST
“This is a great honor and opportunity for Mirco to represent his country,”
Dec 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
That said, might he make sense for the Bruins?
Dec 19, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Henrik Lundqvist’s No. 2 returns for another year.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35