Nov 14, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA spent today not meeting about a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and now another deadline is on the horizon.
Chris Botta from Sports Business Journal reports that if a deal isn’t worked out in the next seven days, games through December 15 will be canceled. Botta adds that a “drop dead date” may come after that as the threat of wiping out the entire season might be the only thing to help the players and owners get things figured out.
Things ended on a poor note after Sunday’s talks concluded with a battle over contract rights becoming the latest roadblock to labor peace. Both NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr expressed frustrations in that meeting.
Meanwhile, NHLPA Special Counsel Steve Fehr says “when the moment is right, a deal will be done quickly.” That time doesn’t appear to be the present.
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 2
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 16
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 57
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 88
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (88)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games