Nov 14, 2012, 4:33 PM EST
The NHLPA denies that players were instructed by union leadership to “demonize” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and tells the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman that any suggestion otherwise is “absolutely false.”
The union’s denial came shortly after Friedman reported that “people across the league” believe NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr has waged a concerted PR war against Bettman.
And why would anyone ever think that?
Well, perhaps because players have been saying stuff like this:
“We’re ready to play. We want to play. But Gary’s pretty adamant about his third lockout of his tenure.” – Zach Parise
“We’ve all heard that Gary thinks the fans don’t matter.” – Danny Briere
“Gary has forced the players’ hand into this situation and frankly, he’s [ticked] us off. I think at the start, that first offer they gave out, that was a big, big mistake on Gary’s part.” – Shawn Horcoff
Intentional or not, it’s Bettman’s name (often his first name, which seems to add an extra bit of sneer) the players keep referencing, not the names of the individual owners that employ Bettman and sign the players’ paychecks. (Wild defenseman Ryan Suter publicly called out Minnesota owner Craig Leipold, but then quickly recanted.)
So even if Fehr didn’t tell the players to target Bettman in their comments, it’s not hard to understand why those on the commissioner’s side may feel differently.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
Stemming from his arrest on suspicion of domestic assault.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:02 PM EST
The information was out there, the league argues.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
A look at two of the NHL’s most intriguing coaching situations.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:24 PM EST
Are the Leafs married to mediocrity?
Nov 20, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
No makeup date announced yet.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 20, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
But the guy head coach Jon Cooper really wants back is Victor Hedman.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:07 PM EST
Prized free agent signing has just one goal in 17 games.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
Nine of 10 against teams that made the playoffs last season.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:19 PM EST
Edmonton lost again last night, and made a number of glaring mistakes in the process.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Wings GM Ken Holland acknowledged he took a gamble.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
Stars take on Arizona tonight.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
Following a listless 2-0 defeat to the Rangers.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:39 AM EST
He’s played nine games for Boston this year.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
He’s only participated in six games so far.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:08 AM EST
“I’ve never seen a case as ugly as this one.”
Nov 20, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll have a chance to beat his former team, Anaheim, again tonight.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
The Detroit defenseman was injured in a fight Tuesday.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:30 AM EST
Where to draw the line is the question.
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony count of corporal injury 0
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 8
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 26
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)