Nov 14, 2012, 12:07 PM EST
Another day, another Flyers defenseman signing overseas.
On Wednesday, it was Nicklas Grossmann — the 27-year-old reportedly agreed to join Allsvenskan club Sodertalje SSK.
This news comes on the heels of Tuesday’s announcement that Bruno Gervais had signed with German second division outfit Heilbronner.
The Grossman signing was profiled on the Sodertalje website, celebrating a return to the club he represented at both the junior and senior levels before joining the Dallas organization in 2005.
Grossman was acquired by Philly just prior to the trade deadline and quickly impressed Flyers brass with his physical play. It took just 22 games before GM Paul Holmgren locked the Swedish blueliner in with a four-year, $14 million extension — a significant raise from the two-year, $3.25 million deal he signed with the Stars in 2010.
In Sodertalje, he’ll be joined by Flyers teammate Matt Read, who inked with the club in early October.
The signing is big news for SSK as the club is still reeling from the recent loss of Rangers forward Carl Hagelin — he returned to New York after injuring his shoulder in late October.
That said, Sotertalje will only receive a short-term boost from Grossman, who reportedly signed a four-game deal.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)