Nov 14, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
Another day, another Flyers defenseman signing overseas.
On Wednesday, it was Nicklas Grossmann — the 27-year-old reportedly agreed to join Allsvenskan club Sodertalje SSK.
This news comes on the heels of Tuesday’s announcement that Bruno Gervais had signed with German second division outfit Heilbronner.
The Grossman signing was profiled on the Sodertalje website, celebrating a return to the club he represented at both the junior and senior levels before joining the Dallas organization in 2005.
Grossman was acquired by Philly just prior to the trade deadline and quickly impressed Flyers brass with his physical play. It took just 22 games before GM Paul Holmgren locked the Swedish blueliner in with a four-year, $14 million extension — a significant raise from the two-year, $3.25 million deal he signed with the Stars in 2010.
In Sodertalje, he’ll be joined by Flyers teammate Matt Read, who inked with the club in early October.
The signing is big news for SSK as the club is still reeling from the recent loss of Rangers forward Carl Hagelin — he returned to New York after injuring his shoulder in late October.
That said, Sotertalje will only receive a short-term boost from Grossman, who reportedly signed a four-game deal.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)