Nov 14, 2012, 7:52 PM EST
Remember when the Wild were out of goalies last season and 51 year-old Paul Deutsch got the call to be the team’s emergency goalie?
That remarkable set of circumstances that led to that very rare one-game signing has inspired the team to do something fun while the lockout rolls on: They’re going to do something like American Idol and hold a contest to see who can be their next emergency goalie.
The team invited 11 goalies from around Minnesota to try out for the chance to possibly ride the bench or, gulp, see real NHL action out of the blue. Tomorrow, Wild goalie coach Bob Mason, Wild color analyst and former NHL goalie Mike Greenlay, as well as Deutsch will judge the auditions of those 11 and pick out two finalists.
How will the finalists be judged? The best goalie in a celebrity shootout during the Houston Aeros game at Xcel Energy Center on Sunday wins the job.
Considering the good press the Wild got for their scramble to get Deutsch signed and how perilously close he was to actually playing, this kind of contest should be an annual event.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)