Nov 14, 2012, 6:15 PM EST
The lockout has been rough for a lot of players, but for guys in fringe roles in the NHL it’s provided them with an abrupt reality check.
Such is the case for Coyotes forward and Twitter superstar Paul Bissonnette as Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic finds out from the man himself.
“It’s kind of a wake-up call as far as preparing for the end of your career, because the fact that right now there’s no hockey as if there wouldn’t be, what am I going to do after that?” Bissonnette said. “I know it’s a question a lot of guys struggle with, and there are a lot of guys who run through their money and they don’t have any on the other end.
“I’m definitely taking a hard look at that, figuring out some things to see what I want to do on the other end of it.”
Consider this: BizNasty averaged just over six minutes of ice time per game last season while actually playing in just 31 games. For guys like him, missing out on a chance to prove he can do more is destructive at this point in his career.
If you think he just wants to be a fighter for the rest of his career, take a look back on a piece we did on him back in spring of 2011.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)