Nov 14, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
The lockout has been rough for a lot of players, but for guys in fringe roles in the NHL it’s provided them with an abrupt reality check.
Such is the case for Coyotes forward and Twitter superstar Paul Bissonnette as Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic finds out from the man himself.
“It’s kind of a wake-up call as far as preparing for the end of your career, because the fact that right now there’s no hockey as if there wouldn’t be, what am I going to do after that?” Bissonnette said. “I know it’s a question a lot of guys struggle with, and there are a lot of guys who run through their money and they don’t have any on the other end.
“I’m definitely taking a hard look at that, figuring out some things to see what I want to do on the other end of it.”
Consider this: BizNasty averaged just over six minutes of ice time per game last season while actually playing in just 31 games. For guys like him, missing out on a chance to prove he can do more is destructive at this point in his career.
If you think he just wants to be a fighter for the rest of his career, take a look back on a piece we did on him back in spring of 2011.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)