Nov 14, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
The lockout has been rough for a lot of players, but for guys in fringe roles in the NHL it’s provided them with an abrupt reality check.
Such is the case for Coyotes forward and Twitter superstar Paul Bissonnette as Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic finds out from the man himself.
“It’s kind of a wake-up call as far as preparing for the end of your career, because the fact that right now there’s no hockey as if there wouldn’t be, what am I going to do after that?” Bissonnette said. “I know it’s a question a lot of guys struggle with, and there are a lot of guys who run through their money and they don’t have any on the other end.
“I’m definitely taking a hard look at that, figuring out some things to see what I want to do on the other end of it.”
Consider this: BizNasty averaged just over six minutes of ice time per game last season while actually playing in just 31 games. For guys like him, missing out on a chance to prove he can do more is destructive at this point in his career.
If you think he just wants to be a fighter for the rest of his career, take a look back on a piece we did on him back in spring of 2011.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)