Nov 14, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
The lockout has been rough for a lot of players, but for guys in fringe roles in the NHL it’s provided them with an abrupt reality check.
Such is the case for Coyotes forward and Twitter superstar Paul Bissonnette as Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic finds out from the man himself.
“It’s kind of a wake-up call as far as preparing for the end of your career, because the fact that right now there’s no hockey as if there wouldn’t be, what am I going to do after that?” Bissonnette said. “I know it’s a question a lot of guys struggle with, and there are a lot of guys who run through their money and they don’t have any on the other end.
“I’m definitely taking a hard look at that, figuring out some things to see what I want to do on the other end of it.”
Consider this: BizNasty averaged just over six minutes of ice time per game last season while actually playing in just 31 games. For guys like him, missing out on a chance to prove he can do more is destructive at this point in his career.
If you think he just wants to be a fighter for the rest of his career, take a look back on a piece we did on him back in spring of 2011.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)