Nov 14, 2012, 4:48 PM EST
On Tuesday, Andrej Meszaros skated for just the second time since tearing his Achilles tendon — a major breakthrough in his recovery, one that has him thinking about a timetable for return.
“If I can come back in four months, that would be awesome,” Meszaros told CSN Philadelphia. “But if it is six months, then that is what it is.”
Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin and GM Paul Holmgren have told Meszaros — who tore his Achilles in August — that the usual recovery range from such an injury is 4-6 months.
Yet other NHLers have had different rehab experiences after such an injury…
New Jersey’s Travis Zajac tore his last August and returned to action on Dec. 16, a four month recovery period. But after playing in just eight games, he was shut down by team doctors for another two months.
All told, Zajac missed 67 regular season games (though he did play in all 24 of the Devils’ playoff games.)
Ex-Flyer Justin Williams tore his in Sept. 2008 while playing for Carolina. His return was borderline remarkable, getting back into game action on Dec. 4 — a three month recovery period.
Williams went on to play 44 games that year, though he struggled (just 14 points and a minus-8 rating.)
Meszaros says he’s pleased with how things are going, but isn’t sure if he’s ahead or behind schedule.
He’s not even 100 percent sure what the schedule’s supposed to be.
“It’s tough to say,” he said. “I think I’m progressing and I am happy with that, but I can’t say a date when it’s going to be exactly where I want to be. Everything is going good. I don’t know if I can say I am on time.
“It’s tough. I don’t think we are behind though.”
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 0
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 4
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)