Nov 14, 2012, 4:48 PM EST
On Tuesday, Andrej Meszaros skated for just the second time since tearing his Achilles tendon — a major breakthrough in his recovery, one that has him thinking about a timetable for return.
“If I can come back in four months, that would be awesome,” Meszaros told CSN Philadelphia. “But if it is six months, then that is what it is.”
Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin and GM Paul Holmgren have told Meszaros — who tore his Achilles in August — that the usual recovery range from such an injury is 4-6 months.
Yet other NHLers have had different rehab experiences after such an injury…
New Jersey’s Travis Zajac tore his last August and returned to action on Dec. 16, a four month recovery period. But after playing in just eight games, he was shut down by team doctors for another two months.
All told, Zajac missed 67 regular season games (though he did play in all 24 of the Devils’ playoff games.)
Ex-Flyer Justin Williams tore his in Sept. 2008 while playing for Carolina. His return was borderline remarkable, getting back into game action on Dec. 4 — a three month recovery period.
Williams went on to play 44 games that year, though he struggled (just 14 points and a minus-8 rating.)
Meszaros says he’s pleased with how things are going, but isn’t sure if he’s ahead or behind schedule.
He’s not even 100 percent sure what the schedule’s supposed to be.
“It’s tough to say,” he said. “I think I’m progressing and I am happy with that, but I can’t say a date when it’s going to be exactly where I want to be. Everything is going good. I don’t know if I can say I am on time.
“It’s tough. I don’t think we are behind though.”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)