Nov 14, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Wednesday was a big day for Allsvenskan club Sodertajle.
Fowler’s agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed the move to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The 20-year-old blueliner is a big get for the Swedish club. Fowler broke onto the scene in 2010-11, finishing second among all rookie defensemen in scoring with 40 points.
Last year, he appeared in a career-high 82 games while averaging over 23 minutes per contest, leading all Ducks defensemen in scoring (29 points.)
Those two seasons all but anointed him Anaheim’s defenseman of the future, something the club made official this offseason.
First, the Ducks shipped off Lubomir Visnovsky — previously their highest-paid blueliner — to the Islanders, then gave Fowler a five-year, $20 million extension just hours before the CBA expired on Sept. 15.
When Fowler’s extension kicks in for the 2013-14 season, he’ll become the richest rearguard on the team.
With Sodertajle, Fowler will play alongside Grossman (who inked a four-game deal) and Flyers forward Matt Read, who has been with the club since mid-October.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)