Nov 14, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Last week, many observers were pleased that the NHL and NHLPA weren’t providing many quips as lengthy negotiating sessions took place.
Yet with no plans for a meeting as of Tuesday, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty argues that silence isn’t such a positive thing this week.
Haggerty points out that the next missed pay period is coming on Thursday (Nov. 15), which might explain this inflammatory quote from an anonymous source.
“It is complete [expletive],” said one fired up hockey source as nothing has come from last week’s marathon negotiating sessions. “There is a deal that could be done in a day. Both sides should be shot for how they have conducted this negotiation.”
Haggerty believes that some were waiting for Thursday to pass – when 20 percent of season earnings have gone by the wayside – to kick off the real negotiations.
Here’s one informal deadline according to Haggerty:
Even better the NHL is starting to hit a point in the hockey calendar when starting on Dec. 1 becomes problematic. The NHL and NHLPA have roughly a week to get a new CBA hammered out, and begin training camps around the league immediately following Thanksgiving. One expects there will be one last legitimate effort from both sides to nail down a deal before they turn December into more NHL scorched earth.
Haggerty also thinks that the 2013 All-Star Game has already become a “lockout casualty,” even if though that hasn’t been made official.
Read his column for more interesting talk that vacillates between hopeful and depressing, but at least he ends on a (somewhat) positive note:
All of this doom and gloom could go away as soon as Friday if the breakthrough happens that so many people – aside from those leading the NHL and NHLPA, of course – can envision so very easily. It remains to be seen whether that will actually happen, and take the godforsaken lockout talk with it.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Could either catch on with another team?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another draft bust leaves the organization.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Defending Eastern Conference champs had some major turnover this summer.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Good things like getting an assist in three straight games.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Rob Zepp was starting to look like a possibility to be the team’s backup.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 0
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 7
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 10
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)