Nov 14, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
Tuesday at a sports conference in Toronto, Leafs GM Brian Burke reiterated his stance on the use of advanced hockey stats for evaluating players.
“I don’t feel they add any value at all,” said Burke, as per the Toronto Star.
Instead of numbers, he places “great value” on character, explaining that “a lot of great athletes never make it in a team sport. To me, over time, I think character is the ingredient of the stew that is championship teams.”
Burke has shared his views on advanced stats before.
“There has not been a statistical breakthrough that I’ve seen in hockey,” he said in March at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
“Everybody is looking for these Moneyball breakthroughs…I have yet to see anything that has value in terms of an alternative way of evaluating players.”
At the very least, Burke’s presence at a conference for advanced stats suggests he’s willing to listen (though some are arguing he should listen a little harder.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 18
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control