Nov 13, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
Some scary news out of the SM-liiga regarding Los Angeles defenseman Alec Martinez — according to Kings blog Mayor’s Manor, Martinez was hospitalized on Tuesday after taking a slapshot to the face while playing for TPS Turku.
Video of the incident can be found here.
The footage shows Martinez — who was wearing a visor — falling to the ice after being struck. An opposing player and an on-ice official immediately waved to the bench for assistance, though it did appear Martinez was able to get to his feet and attempt to skate off.
Martinez was reportedly admitted to hospital for further evaluation, according to various sources.
The 25-year-old rearguard had signed with TPS in early October. In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
UPDATE: From Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects…
Alec Martinez still in hospital for scans/tests, per TPS coach. Said it doesn’t look good and AM might well be out for a while. #LAKings
— Matias Strozyk (@MaStrozyk) November 13, 2012
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2