Nov 13, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
Some scary news out of the SM-liiga regarding Los Angeles defenseman Alec Martinez — according to Kings blog Mayor’s Manor, Martinez was hospitalized on Tuesday after taking a slapshot to the face while playing for TPS Turku.
Video of the incident can be found here.
The footage shows Martinez — who was wearing a visor — falling to the ice after being struck. An opposing player and an on-ice official immediately waved to the bench for assistance, though it did appear Martinez was able to get to his feet and attempt to skate off.
Martinez was reportedly admitted to hospital for further evaluation, according to various sources.
The 25-year-old rearguard had signed with TPS in early October. In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
UPDATE: From Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects…
Alec Martinez still in hospital for scans/tests, per TPS coach. Said it doesn’t look good and AM might well be out for a while. #LAKings
— Matias Strozyk (@MaStrozyk) November 13, 2012
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)