Nov 13, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Some scary news out of the SM-liiga regarding Los Angeles defenseman Alec Martinez — according to Kings blog Mayor’s Manor, Martinez was hospitalized on Tuesday after taking a slapshot to the face while playing for TPS Turku.
Video of the incident can be found here.
The footage shows Martinez — who was wearing a visor — falling to the ice after being struck. An opposing player and an on-ice official immediately waved to the bench for assistance, though it did appear Martinez was able to get to his feet and attempt to skate off.
Martinez was reportedly admitted to hospital for further evaluation, according to various sources.
The 25-year-old rearguard had signed with TPS in early October. In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
UPDATE: From Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects…
Alec Martinez still in hospital for scans/tests, per TPS coach. Said it doesn’t look good and AM might well be out for a while. #LAKings
— Matias Strozyk (@MaStrozyk) November 13, 2012
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)