Nov 13, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Some scary news out of the SM-liiga regarding Los Angeles defenseman Alec Martinez — according to Kings blog Mayor’s Manor, Martinez was hospitalized on Tuesday after taking a slapshot to the face while playing for TPS Turku.
Video of the incident can be found here.
The footage shows Martinez — who was wearing a visor — falling to the ice after being struck. An opposing player and an on-ice official immediately waved to the bench for assistance, though it did appear Martinez was able to get to his feet and attempt to skate off.
Martinez was reportedly admitted to hospital for further evaluation, according to various sources.
The 25-year-old rearguard had signed with TPS in early October. In July, he inked a two-year, $1.475 million extension with the Kings after appearing in all 20 playoff games en route to the franchise’s first-ever Stanley Cup championship.
UPDATE: From Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects…
Alec Martinez still in hospital for scans/tests, per TPS coach. Said it doesn’t look good and AM might well be out for a while. #LAKings
— Matias Strozyk (@MaStrozyk) November 13, 2012
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)