Nov 13, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Former Columbus Blue Jackets and Ottawa Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire has announced his retirement at the age of 30.
Leclaire, taken eighth overall by Columbus at the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, cited a recurring hip injury as the reason for hanging up his skates.
That an injury ended his career isn’t all that surprising — Leclaire dealt with health issues throughout his seven years in the NHL…
— 2006-07: Missed over 40 games with a knee injury.
— 2008-09: Missed over 40 games with an ankle injury.
–2009-10: Missed over 20 games with a concussion and broken jaw.
— 2010-11: Missed over 40 games with the aforementioned hip injury.
Leclaire also had three surgeries performed last season — which he sat out entirely — to try and correct the hip issue, but to no avail.
It’s a sad ending to a once promising career. Leclaire appeared destined for good things when, in 2007-08, he finished second in the NHL with nine shutouts, seventh in GAA (2.25) and 11th in save percentage (.919).
That season also marked the first time Columbus eclipsed the 80-point plateau in franchise history.
Leclaire was traded to Ottawa at the 2009 trade deadline and briefly held the Sens starting gig. The highlight of his time in the Canadian capital came during an opening-round playoff loss to Pittsburgh in 2010 — Leclaire was brilliant in Ottawa’s triple-OT Game 5 win, stopping 56 of 59 shots, finishing as the game’s first star.
Apr 2, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
Apr 2, 2015, 12:46 AM EDT
Easily handled the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.
Apr 2, 2015, 12:16 AM EDT
Looked like a sure goal.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
That’s bad defending.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 21
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)