Nov 13, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Former Columbus Blue Jackets and Ottawa Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire has announced his retirement at the age of 30.
Leclaire, taken eighth overall by Columbus at the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, cited a recurring hip injury as the reason for hanging up his skates.
That an injury ended his career isn’t all that surprising — Leclaire dealt with health issues throughout his seven years in the NHL…
– 2006-07: Missed over 40 games with a knee injury.
— 2008-09: Missed over 40 games with an ankle injury.
–2009-10: Missed over 20 games with a concussion and broken jaw.
— 2010-11: Missed over 40 games with the aforementioned hip injury.
Leclaire also had three surgeries performed last season — which he sat out entirely — to try and correct the hip issue, but to no avail.
It’s a sad ending to a once promising career. Leclaire appeared destined for good things when, in 2007-08, he finished second in the NHL with nine shutouts, seventh in GAA (2.25) and 11th in save percentage (.919).
That season also marked the first time Columbus eclipsed the 80-point plateau in franchise history.
Leclaire was traded to Ottawa at the 2009 trade deadline and briefly held the Sens starting gig. The highlight of his time in the Canadian capital came during an opening-round playoff loss to Pittsburgh in 2010 — Leclaire was brilliant in Ottawa’s triple-OT Game 5 win, stopping 56 of 59 shots, finishing as the game’s first star.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)