Marleau: “Just because I don’t jump up and down acting like a buffoon on the ice doesn’t mean I’m not into it”
Nov 13, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
The Patrick Marleau vs. Jeremy Roenick feud has gone from hot…to scorching.
On Tuesday, the Sharks forward responded to critiques in Roenick’s new book by saying allegations of him not caring are false.
“To say that I don’t care about my play or winning or being gutless is absurd,” Marleau told the San Jose Mercury News via text message. “I wouldn’t have left home at 14 years old to play a game I didn’t care about. I want to win more than anyone.
“Just because I don’t jump up and down acting like a buffoon on the ice doesn’t mean I’m not into it.”
Roenick’s book, J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey, includes a list of “Five Players I Hated During My Career.”
Roenick put Marleau on the list — behind Rob Ray, ahead of Steve Ott — in what was the latest in a series of snipes.
In 2011, Roenick blasted the ex-Sharks captain for a “gutless, gutless performance” in a playoff loss to Detroit.
In 2009, Roenick — then a teammate of Marleau’s in San Jose — drove to Marleau’s house one evening to confront him about a perceived lack of effort.
“What no one seems to understand is that I believe Marleau is a special talent . . . Marleau frustrated me when I played with him because I wanted more from him. He was earning $6.9 million per season and I just didn’t believe he brought the superstar effort that you would expect from that caliber of player.
“I tried to tell him that that night, but I could tell 10 minutes into our conversation that I was wasting my time. He considered my arrival at his house an intrusion. He listened to me, but he never did anything to change the way he was.”
Marleau said he remembered the incident, but had a different take on it.
“For anyone to think they are trying to ‘inspire’ me by coming to my home and giving me their two cents is comical,” he explained. “I will always welcome constructive criticism from my teammates, but I don’t have time for the ones who have their own agenda or are just trying to make themselves sound better.”
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)