Marleau: “Just because I don’t jump up and down acting like a buffoon on the ice doesn’t mean I’m not into it”
Nov 13, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
The Patrick Marleau vs. Jeremy Roenick feud has gone from hot…to scorching.
On Tuesday, the Sharks forward responded to critiques in Roenick’s new book by saying allegations of him not caring are false.
“To say that I don’t care about my play or winning or being gutless is absurd,” Marleau told the San Jose Mercury News via text message. “I wouldn’t have left home at 14 years old to play a game I didn’t care about. I want to win more than anyone.
“Just because I don’t jump up and down acting like a buffoon on the ice doesn’t mean I’m not into it.”
Roenick’s book, J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey, includes a list of “Five Players I Hated During My Career.”
Roenick put Marleau on the list — behind Rob Ray, ahead of Steve Ott — in what was the latest in a series of snipes.
In 2011, Roenick blasted the ex-Sharks captain for a “gutless, gutless performance” in a playoff loss to Detroit.
In 2009, Roenick — then a teammate of Marleau’s in San Jose — drove to Marleau’s house one evening to confront him about a perceived lack of effort.
“What no one seems to understand is that I believe Marleau is a special talent . . . Marleau frustrated me when I played with him because I wanted more from him. He was earning $6.9 million per season and I just didn’t believe he brought the superstar effort that you would expect from that caliber of player.
“I tried to tell him that that night, but I could tell 10 minutes into our conversation that I was wasting my time. He considered my arrival at his house an intrusion. He listened to me, but he never did anything to change the way he was.”
Marleau said he remembered the incident, but had a different take on it.
“For anyone to think they are trying to ‘inspire’ me by coming to my home and giving me their two cents is comical,” he explained. “I will always welcome constructive criticism from my teammates, but I don’t have time for the ones who have their own agenda or are just trying to make themselves sound better.”
Apr 28, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Nothing like a little competition to get things done.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Isles defenseman missed the entire opening-round series loss to Washington.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Kicks off on Thursday with the Rangers taking on the Caps, and the Flames facing the Ducks.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Jamie Benn’s having two of ’em!
Apr 28, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
“I feel like I’ve let people down.”
Apr 28, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
Was dismissed by the Flyers 11 days ago.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“It wasn’t a perfect fit, to be honest.”
Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Should be an interesting offseason in Pittsburgh.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)