Marleau: “Just because I don’t jump up and down acting like a buffoon on the ice doesn’t mean I’m not into it”
Nov 13, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
The Patrick Marleau vs. Jeremy Roenick feud has gone from hot…to scorching.
On Tuesday, the Sharks forward responded to critiques in Roenick’s new book by saying allegations of him not caring are false.
“To say that I don’t care about my play or winning or being gutless is absurd,” Marleau told the San Jose Mercury News via text message. “I wouldn’t have left home at 14 years old to play a game I didn’t care about. I want to win more than anyone.
“Just because I don’t jump up and down acting like a buffoon on the ice doesn’t mean I’m not into it.”
Roenick’s book, J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey, includes a list of “Five Players I Hated During My Career.”
Roenick put Marleau on the list — behind Rob Ray, ahead of Steve Ott — in what was the latest in a series of snipes.
In 2011, Roenick blasted the ex-Sharks captain for a “gutless, gutless performance” in a playoff loss to Detroit.
In 2009, Roenick — then a teammate of Marleau’s in San Jose — drove to Marleau’s house one evening to confront him about a perceived lack of effort.
“What no one seems to understand is that I believe Marleau is a special talent . . . Marleau frustrated me when I played with him because I wanted more from him. He was earning $6.9 million per season and I just didn’t believe he brought the superstar effort that you would expect from that caliber of player.
“I tried to tell him that that night, but I could tell 10 minutes into our conversation that I was wasting my time. He considered my arrival at his house an intrusion. He listened to me, but he never did anything to change the way he was.”
Marleau said he remembered the incident, but had a different take on it.
“For anyone to think they are trying to ‘inspire’ me by coming to my home and giving me their two cents is comical,” he explained. “I will always welcome constructive criticism from my teammates, but I don’t have time for the ones who have their own agenda or are just trying to make themselves sound better.”
May 20, 2013, 1:56 AM EDT
Had success as a QMJHL coach in Quebec.
May 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
That close to going up 3-0.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
May 20, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
May 19, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Ottawa back in the series.
May 19, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Looked like a minor penalty. Went undetected.
May 19, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Tried to sell it. Didn’t work.
May 19, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh with the lead after two periods.
May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Big hit. Appeared clean, too.
May 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Torres suspended for remainder of semifinal series.
May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Needs to be better for Game 3.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
New York trailed 2-0 in first-round series with Washington.
May 19, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Canucks’ captain scores twice. Where was that in the playoffs?
May 19, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
He escapes the league’s ire.
May 19, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Brad Marchand might want a do-over.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles