Nov 13, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
Chris Stewart‘s European adventure continues.
That’s the news out of Germany on Thursday as Stewart has reportedly left Czech Extraliga team Liberec to resume playing for Bundesliga squad Eispiraten Crimmitschau, according to the team website.
Stewart, 25, first signed with Crimmitschau in late September along with Flyers forward and close friend Wayne Simmonds.
Stewart played in nine games for the Ice Pirates — yes, Ice Pirates — scoring 5G-6A-11PTS before he and Simmonds jumped to the Czech league.
But according to agent Eustace King, both thoroughly enjoyed their time in the German second division.
“The guys loved playing in Crimmitschau,” King explained. “The fans were one of the best they ever played in front of and the coach and management treated them first class.”
So, no huge surprise Stewart decided to return.
His decision was also likely influenced by the fact he’d done very little with Liberec, registering just one assist in five games.
It’s also worth noting his time in the Extraliga was marred by a racially-charged incident when fans of Czech club Chomutov subjected Simmonds to chants of “Opice” — “monkey” in English — during a game on Oct. 28.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)