Sundin will never forget what Leafs fans gave him

Nov 12, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

Mats Sundin

Mats Sundin is a product of the sport. In 1966, his parents went to a hockey game for their first date.

“Five years later, I was born,” Sundin said, courtesy of the NHL.com. “Forty-six years after that date, I’m standing here being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.”

Sundin started his career playing with fellow 2012 Hockey Hall of Fame inductee Joe Sakic on the Quebec Nordiques, and he retired after spending some time with the next generation of Swedish greats in Daniel and Henrik Sedin as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. However, most will remember Mats Sundin for his tenure with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“When I landed in Toronto on Thursday afternoon I came home,” Sundin said. “Driving in from the airport reflecting on 13 years in Toronto, living in this city, players I played with. I thought of the fans, the incredible fans that bleed blue and white.”

Maple Leafs fans are not know for their exclusively kind treatment of hockey players and Sundin did not entirely avoid controversy during his tenure in Toronto, especially towards the end of his career. Still, as TSN’s James Duthie pointed out, Sundin managed to win the admiration of a generation of Leafs fans.

“Leaf fans, I will never forget what you have given me,” Sundin said.

Related:

Mats Sundin’s impact on Maple Leafs records

Latest Posts
  1. Oilers, Flames AHL affiliates to play outdoor game

Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

gshr_raley

Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.

2. Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Patrick Kane

As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.

3. Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Johan Franzen Johan Franzen

The Swede hopes to be cleared of his latest concussion in time for the season opener.

4. Blackhawks sign Nordstrom to a one-year deal

Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.

5. After recovering from serious bike crash, Sarich holds out comeback hope

Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Calgary Flames Getty Images

“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”

6. Trade target Cowen says Sens’ support has been ‘awesome’

Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

Jared Cowen

“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”

7. Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

Antti Raanta Antti Raanta

He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.

8. Report: Devils captain Salvador to retire this week (Update: Official)

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on September 19, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
(September 18, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

After missing most of last season with a back injury.

9. Sharks to honor original owner Gund with banner

Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.

10. Canes coach Peters making tweaks with emphasis on being more dangerous offensively

Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.

11. Eichel planning to move in with Moulson

Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”

12. Lightning’s trip to Stanley Cup Final boosts season ticket sales

Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Stamkos Getty Images

They had strong attendance numbers last season too.

13. St. Louis offers Upshall a professional tryout

Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT

Scottie Upshall Getty Images

The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.

14. Crosby, Toews, Weber, Price lead pack in NHL 16’s ratings

Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stadium Series - Pittsburgh Penguins v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.

15. Marchand rehabbing from offseason elbow surgery

Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Brad Marchand Getty Images

He played through the injury in 2014-15.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches