Nov 12, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin might have taken different paths to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but had the same starting point.
From 1990-91 through 1993-94, Sundin and Sakic were two of the Quebec Nordiques’ best players. Then Quebec sent Sundin to the Toronto Maple Leafs and one season later, the team moved to Denver, Colorado.
Now the two are united in their desire to see Quebec City get another chance, like Winnipeg did when the Atlanta Thrashers became the second coming of the Winnipeg Jets.
“I don’t think you’re going to find anywhere where people are so passionate about the game,” said Sakic in a TSN report.
Sundin, who only played for Canadian teams during his NHL career, also sees the potential positives of an NHL return.
“In Canada, everywhere hockey has such support and Quebec City is no different,” he said. “Definitely there would be a lot of support.”
Quebec City is building a new NHL-worthy arena that is scheduled to be completed in 2015. Of course, that doesn’t guarantee that Quebec City will get a team, but they will probably be a candidate if a franchise relocates down the road.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)