Nov 12, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin might have taken different paths to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but had the same starting point.
From 1990-91 through 1993-94, Sundin and Sakic were two of the Quebec Nordiques’ best players. Then Quebec sent Sundin to the Toronto Maple Leafs and one season later, the team moved to Denver, Colorado.
Now the two are united in their desire to see Quebec City get another chance, like Winnipeg did when the Atlanta Thrashers became the second coming of the Winnipeg Jets.
“I don’t think you’re going to find anywhere where people are so passionate about the game,” said Sakic in a TSN report.
Sundin, who only played for Canadian teams during his NHL career, also sees the potential positives of an NHL return.
“In Canada, everywhere hockey has such support and Quebec City is no different,” he said. “Definitely there would be a lot of support.”
Quebec City is building a new NHL-worthy arena that is scheduled to be completed in 2015. Of course, that doesn’t guarantee that Quebec City will get a team, but they will probably be a candidate if a franchise relocates down the road.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 3
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)