Nov 12, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin might have taken different paths to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but had the same starting point.
From 1990-91 through 1993-94, Sundin and Sakic were two of the Quebec Nordiques’ best players. Then Quebec sent Sundin to the Toronto Maple Leafs and one season later, the team moved to Denver, Colorado.
Now the two are united in their desire to see Quebec City get another chance, like Winnipeg did when the Atlanta Thrashers became the second coming of the Winnipeg Jets.
“I don’t think you’re going to find anywhere where people are so passionate about the game,” said Sakic in a TSN report.
Sundin, who only played for Canadian teams during his NHL career, also sees the potential positives of an NHL return.
“In Canada, everywhere hockey has such support and Quebec City is no different,” he said. “Definitely there would be a lot of support.”
Quebec City is building a new NHL-worthy arena that is scheduled to be completed in 2015. Of course, that doesn’t guarantee that Quebec City will get a team, but they will probably be a candidate if a franchise relocates down the road.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)