Sakic doesn’t regret retirement, with one brief exception

Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 AM EST

Joe Sakic Getty Images

You have to wonder what a person does after two Stanley Cups and 1,641 career points over roughly two decades of NHL hockey.

“My life these days is just driving my kids everywhere. That’s all I do,” Sakic said in a Denver Post report. “Or, I’m doing what Debbie (his wife) says. She’s the boss. But you know what? I love it. When I retired, I was ready. I’m lucky. I never had any doubts, like a lot of players do.”

It probably helps when you retire without a lot of unfinished business. Sakic left the game as one of the best that ever played. He’s won gold medals at the 1988 World Junior Championships, 1994 World Championships, 2002 Winter Olympics, 2004 World Cup, in addition to the times he raised the Stanley Cup.

If you want to talk about individual achievements, his career is full of them and we have already highlighted 19 of the most memorable ones.

Still, there was one day that Sakic wished he could end his retirement, if only momentarily — and it wasn’t for an NHL contest. It was during the 2010 Winter Olympics’ gold medal game between Team USA and Canada.

“We had second-row seats. I remember watching Chris Drury skating around in front of me for the U.S., because we were down at their end. I turned to my wife and said ‘Oh, I wish I were out there right now,’ ” Sakic recalled. “But I also knew that I wouldn’t have been able to play at the level I wanted, so it wasn’t so bad.”

That game featured a dramatic comeback by Team USA to force overtime and, of course, a winner by Sidney Crosby that gave Canada their first Olympic gold medal since the 2002 team that Sakic was on. Games like that can be used as evidence to show that hockey is still exciting, inspiring, and above all entertaining, even though all-time greats like Sakic have played in their last contest.

Latest Posts
  1. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Viva Las Vegas?

Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

LasVegasHockey

The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.

2. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: The NHL gets the mumps

Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

crosbyface

Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.

3. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Slava Voynov’s domestic assault case

Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpte3nju0ywnmnjbkytrlmwjlmtu4mgixnzhhmdlhzme5 AP

And the NHL’s swift, significant response.

4. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Another Leafs collapse ushers in analytics era

Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Leafs practice Getty Images

2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?

5. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: St. Louis forces his way out of Tampa Bay

Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers Getty Images

The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.

6. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment

Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.

7. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Canada dominates en route to Olympic gold

Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

Carey Price Carey Price

One of the best performances in international hockey history.

8. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Quinn, Beliveau pass away

Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

Jean Beliveau AP

Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.

9. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Canucks and Flames brawl, followed by Torts losing his mind

Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.

10. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Teemu Selanne retires

Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.

11. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Winter Classic at the Big House

Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.

12. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Oshie’s shootout mastery in Sochi

Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.

13. Poile moves to second on all-time GM wins list

Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST

David Poile AP

Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.

14. Overtime/shootout drama becoming the norm in Florida

Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST

Roberto Luongo Getty Images

“It’s like a little miracle down here.”

15. Scoring change gives Nash his first Rangers hat trick

Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST

Nash goal

The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.

16. Hextall impressed by Zepp, but cautious when predicting his future

Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST

Rob Zepp Getty Images

Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?

17. Lightning returns top goalie prospect Vasilevskiy to AHL

Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST

Andrei Vasilevskiy Getty Images

His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches