Sakic doesn’t regret retirement, with one brief exception

Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT

Joe Sakic Getty Images

You have to wonder what a person does after two Stanley Cups and 1,641 career points over roughly two decades of NHL hockey.

“My life these days is just driving my kids everywhere. That’s all I do,” Sakic said in a Denver Post report. “Or, I’m doing what Debbie (his wife) says. She’s the boss. But you know what? I love it. When I retired, I was ready. I’m lucky. I never had any doubts, like a lot of players do.”

It probably helps when you retire without a lot of unfinished business. Sakic left the game as one of the best that ever played. He’s won gold medals at the 1988 World Junior Championships, 1994 World Championships, 2002 Winter Olympics, 2004 World Cup, in addition to the times he raised the Stanley Cup.

If you want to talk about individual achievements, his career is full of them and we have already highlighted 19 of the most memorable ones.

Still, there was one day that Sakic wished he could end his retirement, if only momentarily — and it wasn’t for an NHL contest. It was during the 2010 Winter Olympics’ gold medal game between Team USA and Canada.

“We had second-row seats. I remember watching Chris Drury skating around in front of me for the U.S., because we were down at their end. I turned to my wife and said ‘Oh, I wish I were out there right now,’ ” Sakic recalled. “But I also knew that I wouldn’t have been able to play at the level I wanted, so it wasn’t so bad.”

That game featured a dramatic comeback by Team USA to force overtime and, of course, a winner by Sidney Crosby that gave Canada their first Olympic gold medal since the 2002 team that Sakic was on. Games like that can be used as evidence to show that hockey is still exciting, inspiring, and above all entertaining, even though all-time greats like Sakic have played in their last contest.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Habs take 1-0 lead in just 11 seconds

Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.

2. Emery states case to remain in Flyers’ net (if Mason can play in Game 3)

Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v New York Rangers - Game Two Getty Images

He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.

3. Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1

Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

Justin Florek, Tomas Tatar AP

Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.

4. Sibling rivalry: Reilly Smith scores, Brendan challenges Chara

Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Smith Chara

They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.

5. Lightning coach: Everyone’s written us off, so we have nothing to lose

Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Jon Cooper AP

They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.

6. NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes

Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Seabrook hit

Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.

7. WATCH LIVE: Detroit Red Wings at Boston Bruins (Game 2)

Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

Tuukka Rask AP

It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.

8. Penguins’ Martin: Sometimes we’ve lacked desperation

Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - FEBRUARY 03: Paul Martin #7 of the Pittsburgh Penguins skates against the Ottawa Senators during the game at Consol Energy Center on February 3, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.

9. Red Wings focus on staying out of penalty box

Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Zdeno Chara, Justin Abdelkader Zdeno Chara, Justin Abdelkader

The Bruins are one of the most effective teams in the league with the man advantage.

10. Tampa Bay will stick with goalie Lindback

Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Anders Lindback AP

He was pulled late in Friday’s game.

11. WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 2)

Apr 20, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Derek Stepan AP

The contest will start at 12:00 p.m. ET.

12. MacKinnon is tying/breaking records with hot start

Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Nathan MacKinnon Getty Images

He has seven points in his first two playoff games.

13. Pittsburgh columnist: Penguins’ narcissism, arrogance led to Game 2 defeat

Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury, Matt Calvert AP

With a two-goal lead, Pittsburgh had four forwards on during a power play, which proved to be the turning point of this game.

14. Wild focus on handling Avs’ speed

Apr 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

“You can’t defend on your heels,” Ryan Suter said.

15. MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead

Apr 20, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

Colorado overcomes some strange officiating late in Game 2.

16. Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was

Apr 19, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

Colorado’s rookie sensation is inspiring some bold words.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D