Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
You have to wonder what a person does after two Stanley Cups and 1,641 career points over roughly two decades of NHL hockey.
“My life these days is just driving my kids everywhere. That’s all I do,” Sakic said in a Denver Post report. “Or, I’m doing what Debbie (his wife) says. She’s the boss. But you know what? I love it. When I retired, I was ready. I’m lucky. I never had any doubts, like a lot of players do.”
It probably helps when you retire without a lot of unfinished business. Sakic left the game as one of the best that ever played. He’s won gold medals at the 1988 World Junior Championships, 1994 World Championships, 2002 Winter Olympics, 2004 World Cup, in addition to the times he raised the Stanley Cup.
If you want to talk about individual achievements, his career is full of them and we have already highlighted 19 of the most memorable ones.
Still, there was one day that Sakic wished he could end his retirement, if only momentarily — and it wasn’t for an NHL contest. It was during the 2010 Winter Olympics’ gold medal game between Team USA and Canada.
“We had second-row seats. I remember watching Chris Drury skating around in front of me for the U.S., because we were down at their end. I turned to my wife and said ‘Oh, I wish I were out there right now,’ ” Sakic recalled. “But I also knew that I wouldn’t have been able to play at the level I wanted, so it wasn’t so bad.”
That game featured a dramatic comeback by Team USA to force overtime and, of course, a winner by Sidney Crosby that gave Canada their first Olympic gold medal since the 2002 team that Sakic was on. Games like that can be used as evidence to show that hockey is still exciting, inspiring, and above all entertaining, even though all-time greats like Sakic have played in their last contest.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
The start of his rookie campaign is approaching.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Who will take advantage of the opening?
Aug 31, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The two have previously played together on the Czech national team.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Former coach Jeff Daniels is also staying within the organization after being relieved of his AHL coaching duties.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Looking to score an AHL deal.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
You can expect this question to be asked throughout the year.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)