Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
You have to wonder what a person does after two Stanley Cups and 1,641 career points over roughly two decades of NHL hockey.
“My life these days is just driving my kids everywhere. That’s all I do,” Sakic said in a Denver Post report. “Or, I’m doing what Debbie (his wife) says. She’s the boss. But you know what? I love it. When I retired, I was ready. I’m lucky. I never had any doubts, like a lot of players do.”
It probably helps when you retire without a lot of unfinished business. Sakic left the game as one of the best that ever played. He’s won gold medals at the 1988 World Junior Championships, 1994 World Championships, 2002 Winter Olympics, 2004 World Cup, in addition to the times he raised the Stanley Cup.
If you want to talk about individual achievements, his career is full of them and we have already highlighted 19 of the most memorable ones.
Still, there was one day that Sakic wished he could end his retirement, if only momentarily — and it wasn’t for an NHL contest. It was during the 2010 Winter Olympics’ gold medal game between Team USA and Canada.
“We had second-row seats. I remember watching Chris Drury skating around in front of me for the U.S., because we were down at their end. I turned to my wife and said ‘Oh, I wish I were out there right now,’ ” Sakic recalled. “But I also knew that I wouldn’t have been able to play at the level I wanted, so it wasn’t so bad.”
That game featured a dramatic comeback by Team USA to force overtime and, of course, a winner by Sidney Crosby that gave Canada their first Olympic gold medal since the 2002 team that Sakic was on. Games like that can be used as evidence to show that hockey is still exciting, inspiring, and above all entertaining, even though all-time greats like Sakic have played in their last contest.
May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
John Tortorella would be proud.
May 22, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
The Penguins “have too much depth.”
May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s strong first period was wasted.
May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
He’s been reaching out to agents and players.
May 22, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Mike Halford and Jason Brough tackle that question.
May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
He also wants to express his gratitude to the Vancouver Canucks.
May 22, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Beau Bennett and Jussi Jokinen have been inserted into the lineup.
May 22, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Two swift playoff exits sunk the Canucks’ coach.
May 22, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
His career has gone downhill since being part of the Hodgson trade.
May 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault joins the fray.
May 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
“As long as they keep winning here, that just gives me a better chance for a return with every win.”
May 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
“Will we look at them? Absolutely.”
May 22, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s power play is just 1-for-12 in its past two games.
May 22, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Vancouver cleans house.
May 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Decent goaltending depth in Anaheim at the moment.
May 22, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Click to read two good reasons.
May 22, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
This should make the Keith Ballard buyout easier to stomach.
May 22, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Go have your say.
May 22, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
He’s expected to be a top-5 pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
May 22, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
Club says he suffered no injuries.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 2
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 22
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 36
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 16
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games