Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
You have to wonder what a person does after two Stanley Cups and 1,641 career points over roughly two decades of NHL hockey.
“My life these days is just driving my kids everywhere. That’s all I do,” Sakic said in a Denver Post report. “Or, I’m doing what Debbie (his wife) says. She’s the boss. But you know what? I love it. When I retired, I was ready. I’m lucky. I never had any doubts, like a lot of players do.”
It probably helps when you retire without a lot of unfinished business. Sakic left the game as one of the best that ever played. He’s won gold medals at the 1988 World Junior Championships, 1994 World Championships, 2002 Winter Olympics, 2004 World Cup, in addition to the times he raised the Stanley Cup.
If you want to talk about individual achievements, his career is full of them and we have already highlighted 19 of the most memorable ones.
Still, there was one day that Sakic wished he could end his retirement, if only momentarily — and it wasn’t for an NHL contest. It was during the 2010 Winter Olympics’ gold medal game between Team USA and Canada.
“We had second-row seats. I remember watching Chris Drury skating around in front of me for the U.S., because we were down at their end. I turned to my wife and said ‘Oh, I wish I were out there right now,’ ” Sakic recalled. “But I also knew that I wouldn’t have been able to play at the level I wanted, so it wasn’t so bad.”
That game featured a dramatic comeback by Team USA to force overtime and, of course, a winner by Sidney Crosby that gave Canada their first Olympic gold medal since the 2002 team that Sakic was on. Games like that can be used as evidence to show that hockey is still exciting, inspiring, and above all entertaining, even though all-time greats like Sakic have played in their last contest.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)