Nov 12, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
With or without Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr, the 2012 Hockey Hall of Fame induction will take place tonight (you can see it on NHL Network starting at 7:30 pm ET).
While we reminisce about Joe Sakic, Adam Oates, Pavel Bure and Mats Sundin, the natural next question is: who’s next?
First, it’s important to note some of the ground rules. While it’s certainly not mandatory to hit the max level, each year’s class is capped at four members.
It’s always sexy to consider first-ballot Hall of Famers, too, so here are some of the biggest names eligible for induction starting in 2013:
Scott Niedermayer, Chris Chelios, Rob Blake, Rod Brind’Amour, Keith Tkachuk, Paul Kariya and Owen Nolan.
That’s already a formidable list of players, but what about some of the excellent contributors who missed out at least once?
Here are some of the most notable contenders from previous years:
Brendan Shanahan, Jeremy Roenick, Theoren Fleury, Claude Lemieux, Phil Housley, Eric Lindros, Sergei Makarov, Curtis Joseph, Gary Roberts, Steve Larmer, Tom Barrasso, Guy Carbonneau, Dave Andreychuk, Alex Mogilny, Markus Naslund, Rogie Vachon, Mike Vernon and John Leclair.
There’s little doubt that there are proponents of other players out there, so feel free to write-in candidates in the poll and/or mention worthy nominees in the comments.
With the four-player maximum in mind, go ahead and share your votes on who deserves to be enshrined in 2013.
(Names listed in alphabetical order.)
Note: to keep things simple, the “builders” category isn’t addressed. Feel free to discuss the merits of candidates such as Pat Burns and Fred Shero in the comments, though.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
He’s appeared in 737 consecutive games.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Sunday’s starting goalies.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
He set up Tyler Seguin’s breakaway goal.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Good luck with that.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
He shared the evidence and a boatload of hashtags.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
His twin Henrik will play his 1,031st.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
The kind of pass you’d don a mullet wig for.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 AM EST
The Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets drew more than 30,000 fans.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)