Nov 12, 2012, 4:06 PM EST
Winnipeg Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec has decided not to renew his contract with Czech Extraliga club Liberec, partly because of the prospect of a “saved” NHL season.
“I had a contract to Nov. 4,” Pavelec told iSport.cz (translation from Sportsnet). “Now that I saw that the NHL season could be saved, I think I’ll probably go back to Canada.”
The 25-year-old netminder wasted no time in finding work once the lockout began on Sept. 15. Within two days, he’d signed with Liberec — a deal struck just months after the Jets gave him a five-year, $19.5 million deal.
Since inking with Winnipeg, things have not gone especially well. In July, Pavelec was charged with a DUI and his play with Liberec was spotty at best.
In 14 games he has a 3.50 GAA and .896 save percentage, though it should be noted he played extremely well while representing the Czech Republic in recent international play.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)