Nov 12, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec has decided not to renew his contract with Czech Extraliga club Liberec, partly because of the prospect of a “saved” NHL season.
“I had a contract to Nov. 4,” Pavelec told iSport.cz (translation from Sportsnet). “Now that I saw that the NHL season could be saved, I think I’ll probably go back to Canada.”
The 25-year-old netminder wasted no time in finding work once the lockout began on Sept. 15. Within two days, he’d signed with Liberec — a deal struck just months after the Jets gave him a five-year, $19.5 million deal.
Since inking with Winnipeg, things have not gone especially well. In July, Pavelec was charged with a DUI and his play with Liberec was spotty at best.
In 14 games he has a 3.50 GAA and .896 save percentage, though it should be noted he played extremely well while representing the Czech Republic in recent international play.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)