Nov 12, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec has decided not to renew his contract with Czech Extraliga club Liberec, partly because of the prospect of a “saved” NHL season.
“I had a contract to Nov. 4,” Pavelec told iSport.cz (translation from Sportsnet). “Now that I saw that the NHL season could be saved, I think I’ll probably go back to Canada.”
The 25-year-old netminder wasted no time in finding work once the lockout began on Sept. 15. Within two days, he’d signed with Liberec — a deal struck just months after the Jets gave him a five-year, $19.5 million deal.
Since inking with Winnipeg, things have not gone especially well. In July, Pavelec was charged with a DUI and his play with Liberec was spotty at best.
In 14 games he has a 3.50 GAA and .896 save percentage, though it should be noted he played extremely well while representing the Czech Republic in recent international play.
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 0
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona