Nov 12, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
Joe Sakic was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft by the Quebec Nordiques and he never played for another NHL franchise.
“You guys believed in me, and most importantly made it possible for me to live out my childhood dream,” Sakic said in thanks to the Quebec organization, courtesy of the NHL.com.
Sakic thinks highly of the hockey fans in Quebec City and a franchise relocation is never an easy or simple thing. At the same time, once the franchise moved to Denver, Sakic played a key role in putting it on the map.
Sakic led Colorado to two Stanley Cups and took the time Monday night to thank one of the principal architects in that success, former Avalanche GM and current president Pierre Lacroix.
“You brought a winning culture to our organization when we needed it,” Sakic said. “I was always proud to wear the Avalanche jersey and I’m still proud to be with the organization. I hope we can bring another Stanley Cup to Denver.”
Sakic also thanked the fans for supporting him throughout his career.
“It was always a treat to play in front of you guys,” Sakic said. “I never took that for granted.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)