Nov 12, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
Joe Sakic was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft by the Quebec Nordiques and he never played for another NHL franchise.
“You guys believed in me, and most importantly made it possible for me to live out my childhood dream,” Sakic said in thanks to the Quebec organization, courtesy of the NHL.com.
Sakic thinks highly of the hockey fans in Quebec City and a franchise relocation is never an easy or simple thing. At the same time, once the franchise moved to Denver, Sakic played a key role in putting it on the map.
Sakic led Colorado to two Stanley Cups and took the time Monday night to thank one of the principal architects in that success, former Avalanche GM and current president Pierre Lacroix.
“You brought a winning culture to our organization when we needed it,” Sakic said. “I was always proud to wear the Avalanche jersey and I’m still proud to be with the organization. I hope we can bring another Stanley Cup to Denver.”
Sakic also thanked the fans for supporting him throughout his career.
“It was always a treat to play in front of you guys,” Sakic said. “I never took that for granted.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)