Nov 12, 2012, 9:55 PM EST
Joe Sakic was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft by the Quebec Nordiques and he never played for another NHL franchise.
“You guys believed in me, and most importantly made it possible for me to live out my childhood dream,” Sakic said in thanks to the Quebec organization, courtesy of the NHL.com.
Sakic thinks highly of the hockey fans in Quebec City and a franchise relocation is never an easy or simple thing. At the same time, once the franchise moved to Denver, Sakic played a key role in putting it on the map.
Sakic led Colorado to two Stanley Cups and took the time Monday night to thank one of the principal architects in that success, former Avalanche GM and current president Pierre Lacroix.
“You brought a winning culture to our organization when we needed it,” Sakic said. “I was always proud to wear the Avalanche jersey and I’m still proud to be with the organization. I hope we can bring another Stanley Cup to Denver.”
Sakic also thanked the fans for supporting him throughout his career.
“It was always a treat to play in front of you guys,” Sakic said. “I never took that for granted.”
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 5
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 5
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 20
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 10
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)