Nov 12, 2012, 9:55 PM EST
Joe Sakic was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft by the Quebec Nordiques and he never played for another NHL franchise.
“You guys believed in me, and most importantly made it possible for me to live out my childhood dream,” Sakic said in thanks to the Quebec organization, courtesy of the NHL.com.
Sakic thinks highly of the hockey fans in Quebec City and a franchise relocation is never an easy or simple thing. At the same time, once the franchise moved to Denver, Sakic played a key role in putting it on the map.
Sakic led Colorado to two Stanley Cups and took the time Monday night to thank one of the principal architects in that success, former Avalanche GM and current president Pierre Lacroix.
“You brought a winning culture to our organization when we needed it,” Sakic said. “I was always proud to wear the Avalanche jersey and I’m still proud to be with the organization. I hope we can bring another Stanley Cup to Denver.”
Sakic also thanked the fans for supporting him throughout his career.
“It was always a treat to play in front of you guys,” Sakic said. “I never took that for granted.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)