Nov 12, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
Gunnarsson was born in Orebro and played in Sweden before heading to Toronto in 2009-10, so it’s not surprising that he would chose to head home during the lockout.
Gunnarsson is coming off of a solid season where he played primarily with Dion Phaneuf as part of the Leafs’ top defensive pairing. Gunnarsson led the Leafs in blocked shots and logged 21:42 minutes per game. He has also recorded between 15 and 20 points in each of his first three NHL campaigns.
Before the lockout, he was scheduled to make $1,250,000 in 2012-13 and become a restricted free agent this summer.
When the union and NHL finally agreed on a new CBA, Gunnarsson should resume his role as one of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ key blueliners.
May 18, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s his call whether to go or not.
May 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
On-ice chatter at its best.
May 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed 12 games with a broken thumb.
May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Cap troubles and no-trade clauses abound.
May 18, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
He’ll need three months rehab for a third-degree MCL sprain.
May 18, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
A preview of today’s games is ahead.
May 18, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Selke finalists show us how it’s done.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
May 17, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
Ottawa in a hole.
May 17, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh now two wins away from advancing to conference final.
May 17, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Drastic reduction in ice time in Game 2 compared to Game 1.
May 17, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Continue the debate.
May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Sid the Kid nets three.
May 17, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
Ottawa hanging around in the third period.
May 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Played once in these playoffs.
May 17, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Pittsburgh up in Game 2, up in the series.
May 17, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken thumb.
May 17, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Sharks GM Doug Wilson.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Pole Day of Indy 500 qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit